Forums Forums (
-   Flex 2, 3 & 4 (
-   -   Problems switching between Flex 3 and FlashBuilder 4 (

Arodicus 07-15-2011 10:54 PM

Problems switching between Flex 3 and FlashBuilder 4
Ok this is just plain weird: my projects are failing to compile if I switch between Flex 3 and Flex 4 frequently. Separate projects, separate wrokspaces, separate applications... yet somehow the little bastards are screwing with each other. I'm perplexed.


I have a project that uses RSLs and external framework SWCs written in Flex 3. We are in the process of converting it to FlashBuilder 4. As (v3) production issues arise it sometimes becomes necessary to switch environments to correct a v3 bug, then switch back to correct it in v4.

Both projects are in separated workspaces and no source files are shared. However, both projects send bin output to the same jBoss 5 directory, and the output files have the same names regardless of which environment they were compiled in. This includes some shared RSLs and the adobe framework swcs.

When the need arises to switch environments, I open the shared bin output, and delete all files, then launch the new environment and immediately do a Clean Build to repopulate the local server with the correct version SWF and SWC files.

Sometimes it works perfectly. But most of the time I get 50-60 totally bogus errors ranging from false "Live cycle Data Service 2.6 or later" to equally B.S. "Cannot find Matrix3d". Guess what: I'm using neither LCDS nor Matrix3d. Brilliant Adobe!

When this happens, I can sometimes fix all errors by (again) manually deleting all SWFs from jBoss, then doing a Clean build on ONLY the shared library RSL files, then doing a normal Build on everything else.

But if that does not work, my only option is to delete all projects (not files) from the broken workspace, then reimport them. Then it works and recompiles just fine, in either workspace. And of course I lose all my workspace-specific preferences like Run settings, etc.

Experience tells me this is some kind of config bug, most likely a shared registry setting or metadata file that both Flex 3 and Flex 4 use, and that it is getting confused by my use of the same bin directories to support both environments. But why having the same output directory is screwing up the compiler in unrelated programs is beyond me.

Does anybody out there have any experience with this, to point me in the right direction, because right now it takes about an hour to switch between the two applications when it should really take only 5 or 6 minutes (the time it takes to do a simple Clean Build).

Arodicus 07-18-2011 08:06 PM

Resolutions for common Flex Compiler issues
Resolved. See my other post

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management plugin by RedTyger