Product Name: Flash Applications for Mobile Devices
Price:
Friends of Ed
Richard Legget
Weyerd de Boer
Scott Janousek

Snapshot:
Score: 9/10
Overview: Flash Applications for Mobile Devices is an excellent resource to add to your collection for Flash Lite development
Pros:
- Covers 1.X and 2.X
- Teaches entire application life cycle from beginning to end
- Example code on almost every page
- Reference section
Cons:
- I don't know if this is a true "con" but the book is being released (has been rather) while Adobe is releasing the next gen of Actionscript - and this book only mentions it to say it won't cover it

About Product
www.friendsofed.com
Learn how to:
-The essentials of Flash lite 1.1 & 2.X
-How to create movile applications and games
-Best practices from starting to final deployment
-Integrating graphics, sound and video
-Consume live data over HTTP

First Impressions
There is a whole lot of example code and it's a very "visual" learning environment for being a book.

Detailed Analysis
The book is laid out in 3 (4 really) sections. Part one: Getting started which gives a very thurough overview of basic Flash Lite development. Part two: Development goes into details of the different types of applications which can be developed along with integration techniques. Part three: Post development shows you everything you need to do to distrbute your application. Part 4 are appendix
Chapter 1 starts out with a history of Macromedia & Adobe and development for mobile devices as well as various other development technologies (RIAs for example). Continuing with the history lessons, the book next covers the history of mobile devices covering just about every detail which could possibly relate to mobile development (and then some). Chapter 3 gives a brief detail on how to develop Flash Lite 1.1 applications while Chapter 4 does the same for Flash Lite 2.0.
Chapter 5 begins section 2 with an in depth look at application development covering all the basics of Flash Lite (both 1.1 & 2.X). It also gives an almost side by side comparison of a script written in 1.1 and the same script 2.X (each chapter from this point does the same thing actually). Chapter 6 takes application development one step further into the world of gaming. This chapter is full of examples and sample code. It gives an overview of gaming basics and game development for mobile devices. Chapter 7 steps into mobile entertainment development teaching how to develop screen savers, wallpaper and content. Chapters 8 and 9 discuss integration of sound and video respectively. It shows how to create a Flash Lite MP3 player and how to adapt videos to play on a mobile device. Chapter 10 finishes section 2 with different ways to extend Flash Lite. It discusses how to create components and write classes. It also shows how to create and save text files.
Chapter 11 discusses the different aspects for distributing your application. It teaches how to create an installer package as well as where to distribute your application from. Chapter 12 finishes the book with the future of Flash Lite and mobile development. It gives a little insite into the possibilites but also some of potential obsticles as well.
Part 4 of the book contains the appendixes which really round out this book. Almost like a small reference, it has a guide for error codes you may (and probably will) encounter, as well as a small reference to FSCommand2 commands. It finishes off with a glossary of terms used throughout the book.

Closing Thoughts / Summary
All in all, this is a great book, definately a resource you need if you want to get into mobile development, and if you're just starting out, you probably wouldn't need anything else for a while either.
nathanpdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:11 AM   #2
Jesse
ActionScript.org Founder

Woah, only just saw this mate.

I'm guessing you didn't add it to the Review section as an Article? I can post it if you like.

Jesse Stratford
ActionScript.org Cofounder

Please don't email or PM me Flash questions, that's what the Forums are for!

Please don't rely on me reading my PMs either. Email me about important stuff.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
CyanBlue
Super Moderator

Oh, dang... Where's my draft??? I know I was reading the book while I was recovering from my surgery... Gotta write one...
http://tutorials.FlashVacuum.com

Do NOT PM, Email or Call me... Your question belongs right in this forum...
CyanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:52 PM   #4
Jesse
ActionScript.org Founder

OK posted this review: http://www.actionscript.org/resource...ces/Page1.html Thanks mate.

Jesse Stratford
ActionScript.org Cofounder

Please don't email or PM me Flash questions, that's what the Forums are for!

Please don't rely on me reading my PMs either. Email me about important stuff.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: