Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 05-23-2007, 08:41 AM   #1
marsJ

Default dynamic text box width

Hi again,

I am accessing the ._width property of a dynamic text box and using this width to set the ._x position of a separate movie clip. However the value returned doesn't seem to give the width of the text box, but a slightly smaller value. Does anyone have any idea what this value means? And how I can access the actual width of the text box. (i.e. the point at which the text stops if the box was set at point 0,0 on the stage)

Thanks
marsJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:51 AM   #2
TimUK
flashmonkey

the _width property of a textfield should give the width of the text box - if its slightly out, then just add a few pixels as adjustment when youre setting the position of the MC.

Otherwise, if you want to grab the width of the actual line of text itself (not the width of the box) you can use the textWidth property
TimUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:33 AM   #3
marsJ

Thanks for reply,
I wasn't using embedded fonts, which meant that if the textbox was small then the MC would intersect the text, if it was long then the MC would be too far from the textbox. I'm not sure

I have embedded the fonts now and am using the ._width property and it works fine

Thanks for your help
marsJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: