Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 06-26-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
Birdsong

Default embedded audio squeaking problem

Anyone have an experience with an high pitched audio squeak on embedded streaming audio. Here are details - I think I have set every possible setting to best but my published movies have a dog whistle like squeak - its painful!

MP3 clip profile before import:
128 kbps
48.000 kHz
Mono
sounds great in iTunes.

There are no audio import options in Flash, so importing to the library this is what I get automatically: MP3 clip Sound Properties in library after import (via properties):
44 kHz Mono 16 Bit 41.0s 3615.5 kB
sounds good when played in the library palette.

Compression settings in clip Properties and in global .fla publishing settings:
MP3
Convert stereo to mono
128 kbps
Best
Very annoying to listen to because of high-pitched squeal - otherwise sounds fine - no degrade in quality.

If I change it to 16 kbps on publish it sounds terrible and still has the squealing sound.

If I publish it as RAW I get a weird clicking sound at a 1-2 sec interval.

So weird. What could I possibly be missing? I never had audio issues in Flash 8.
Birdsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:26 PM   #2
Birdsong

FYI - its a voice over. Just noticed Speech option. Switching to Speech format seems better - though on occassion it still almost squeeks but its definitely better.
Birdsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
Rocketboy

Default Same here

Hey, I was experiencing the same problem, also with narration. When I switch to the "speech" compression format, the squeal is lost, but the audio quality becomes very poor, with lots of static.

Just so you all know, the squeal is not audible over the speakers, only on headphones, but since we expect a large portion of our audience to be using this project with headphones, this is a serious issue for us.

After some testing, I found that setting the quality to 64kbps got rid of the squeel, and increased the file size about 75%

Mainly, I believe this issue simply has to do with the quality of the original audio file. Although you may not hear any problems with the original file, if it was recorded poorly, underlying problems will be amplified when Flash compresses the file. I suggest getting a high-quality mic, and doing a proffessional recording session. Since we got a better mic, we havn't experiences this problem again.

Last edited by Rocketboy; 08-20-2007 at 09:02 PM.
Rocketboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
starblinky

Default omg make it stop

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I get this issue ALL the time. Almost every time I export I get this.

It has nothing to do with the quality of audio file or if its set to speech or w/ever the fuk people tell you. They havent experienced it like I have. Honestly the squeaking haunts me.

For years I have had this issue, I thought upgrading to CS4 would help.. but nope! Still got it.

I also upgraded my computer to a new iMac, still have the issue. Maybe macs are the issue, I only have used macs.

The only possible way I know to fix it, is keep exporting over and over and over again, and it will eventually go away. Also there is another way, set the audio quality lower and it should do it much less or go away completely, but if you actually want your audio to sound good, your pretty much ****ed like me having to export my games literally 100 times for every iteration I need to make for websites. It is so painful.

So you can keep changing the audio quality till it works and keep exporting. Thats what I do.. its the only thing that works.

PS: Ive been trying to export my game for the past 25 minutes.. over and over and over again..

fun stuff...
starblinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
cjx3711
Random Developer

I experienced something like that. Not sure if it is the same. The music becomes staggered ans squeaky. The only way I fixed it was when it put it up on a web server. (It was a website.)
Old 05-26-2009, 12:25 PM   #6
kkbbcute

Quote:
Originally Posted by starblinky View Post
It has nothing to do with the quality of audio file or if its set to speech or w/ever the f** people tell you
Hey relax, you don't have to use vulgarities

Anyway, the compression formats have nothing to do with it, based on my experience, like cjx3711 said, you're better off loading it onto a web server and wait to see if it plays nicely, most of the time, it should.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: