Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 02-11-2003, 07:40 PM   #1
thebloodpoolkid
Bleeding Thoughts

Default Scripting suggestions

New to backend scripting. Just picked up on ActionScript and its coming along pretty well. What I want to do is create a sit that s has a link for a user log in. In there they can view their inentory.

I can only assume many of you will suggest PHP & MySQL.
Any other suggestions?
also would this be possible to do within flash using just AS?

If any one would be kind enough to provide help out side the forum or point me in the right direct ( I am very new) I would highly appreciate.
thebloodpoolkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 08:35 PM   #2
CyanBlue
Super Moderator

Howdy...

Yup... One more vote for PHP and MySQL to do the task... Can't think of any other combination except using ASP or CF rather than PHP... You got bunch of inventory items you have to display and update on the screen and I don't see that suitable for flat text file data... and to interact with the database, you will have to have server side script, as you might have suspected already, to do the job... ActionScript cannot handle that job alone... I wish it does, but...

I think there were a couple of Login system that goes with PHP and MySQL in FlashKit's tutorial section... You might want to go take a look at the file... Once you get that one going, you can add more inventory items onto the database and do the query with them to display/update into the Flash...

Let us know how it is coming along...
http://tutorials.FlashVacuum.com

Do NOT PM, Email or Call me... Your question belongs right in this forum...
CyanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 09:03 PM   #3
jimburton
no sleep til bedtime

I echo cyanblue's remarks, naturally but while on this general topic you should check out sharedobjects, the clientside way to save data, if you're not familiar with them - there is a tute on this site - maybe not for this particular project if they need to log in, but otherwise, it's a useful tool to have. Most useful thing is that you can save arrays, objects etc, not just strings like cookies. But, like cookies, it's tied to the client machine...
jimburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 10:58 PM   #4
thebloodpoolkid
Bleeding Thoughts

Thanks.
I know the basic of PHP. I want to enhance my knowledge and give it a go. I heard that MySQL was the way to go (that and PHP). I am new to scripting/programming ( well besides html, and some Vbscript in the past). I recently picked up on ActionScript. I learned most of the basic concepts of OOP and all that good stuff. I am open to learn such more like PHP . You have reference to a good learning tool or a good book?
Old 02-11-2003, 11:03 PM   #5
jimburton
no sleep til bedtime

flash with any server-side language and database will be a killer combination for you...have a look at some tutorials here and at www.flash-db.com. the friendsofed book "php foundation for flash" is not bad and will get you going. check out the books section here for other ideas.
jimburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 01:07 AM   #6
thebloodpoolkid
Bleeding Thoughts

friends of ed . they make great books I read 2 already. Thanks Iwill look into it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: