Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 01-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
TomMalufe
Salmon Eater

Default Switch vs. if..else

I know that this really isn't a big deal and probably wont make ANY difference to the speed of my final application (since this code will probably only be called once), but I was wondering if anyone thinks it would be better to use if..else statements instead of what I'm doing here:
ActionScript Code:
package com.tenoz.utils {     public class Seasons     {         public static const SPRING:String = "Spring";         public static const SUMMER:String = "Summer";         public static const FALL:String = "Fall";         public static const WINTER:String = "Winter";                 private static var _selected:String = "Fall";         public static function get selected():String { return _selected; }                 public static function select(season:String):void         {             switch(season)             {             case SPRING:             case SUMMER:             case FALL:             case WINTER:                 break;             default:                 season = SPRING;             }             _selected = season;         }     } }

Also... I haven't tested this code yet and I'm not sure if I can even have private static variables. I will find out soon enough though when I can test this.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
Cota
Super Moderator

I personally think a switch statement is warranted here. If I remember correctly, in AS2, if and switch statements compiled down to if's. Not sure if thats still true in AS3. However, thats the route I would have taken.

cota - www.chadworkman.com | http://shavedplatypus.com
occupation: designer | flash developer | server-side developer (php, asp, mssql, mysql)
Cota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
wvxvw
Holosuit User

Send a message via ICQ to wvxvw

Nope, it uses lookupswitch for switch and e / ne for if-else.
Here's a lot of matierial + dumps related to the issue:
http://www.kirupa.com/forum/showthre...=340147&page=2

PS private static constants are absolutely OK. However, I'd probably emulate enum for such case - comparing objects may be faster then comparing long strings (switch uses strict equality, but strings are anyway compared by value). + you don't need to handle default case - no invalid input

Last edited by wvxvw; 01-08-2010 at 07:37 PM.
wvxvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
TomMalufe
Salmon Eater

I don't really understand the concept of enumeration very well... I kind of figured that I was doing something like that already with this class.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:43 PM   #5
wvxvw
Holosuit User

Send a message via ICQ to wvxvw

Well, enum is needed to ensure you have a fixed number of unique values of the same type.
That's the situation where you'd typically use enum:
ActionScript Code:
public class Finger {     public static const THUMB:Finger = new Finger();     public static const INDEX:Finger = new Finger();     public static const MIDDLE:Finger = new Finger();     public static const RING:Finger = new Finger();     public static const LITTLE:Finger = new Finger(); }
Because well, there won't be any more fingers... well, who knows, but, it doesn't seem like that
So, now, if you'd have to choose a finger, then you'd definitely choose one of the existing fingers - this would spare you validating string or numeric input to see if the number is not negative and less then 5, or that the string which is a name of the finger is exactly the same as one of the predefined finger names.
So it is in the scope of your application: there probably won't be any more seasons, or, even if there will be, they will be few (not dynamically defined) - that's why I thought that enum would be better.

Last edited by wvxvw; 01-08-2010 at 10:48 PM.
wvxvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:45 PM   #6
ASWC
Super Moderator

Does enum exist in AS3? Just kidding ...
Old 02-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
Robbus

I like switch because you can cascade the statements by not always adding the break line.

ActionScript Code:
package {     public class ArmParts     {         private var hasUpperArm:Boolean = false;         private var hasForeArm:Boolean = false;         private var hasHand:Boolean = false;         private var hasFingers:Boolean = false;                 public function ArmParts(part:String):void         {             switch(part)             {             case "upper":             {                 this.hasUpperArm = true;             }             case "fore":             {                 this.hasForeArm = true;             }             case "hand":             {                 this.hasHand = true;             }             case "fingers":             {                 this.hasFingers = true;                 break;             }             default:                 // nothing doing             }         }                 public function getIsFullArm():Boolean{             return this.hasUpperArm && this.hasForeArm && this.hasHand && this.hasFingers;         }     } }

ActionScript Code:
var ap1:ArmParts = new ArmParts("upper"); var ap2:ArmParts = new ArmParts("hand"); trace(ap1.getIsFullArm()); // true trace(ap2.getIsFullArm()); // false

Cheers,
Rob
Robbus is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: