Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 04-11-2003, 05:37 PM   #1
linckx
indeed

Default students and their tasks

today I've helped (or tried too) several people doing stuff for school.

I know of other forums in which moderators go search for threads of students and 'lock' them, because lazy students are not welcome.

I clearly stated that the forum's intention is to help people with flash troubles, and not to do students tasks. The questions were all very little things, so I did help 'em.

Of course if someone would ask me to write some complex coding I wouldn't do that.

I just wanted to ask if what I did was allright with the people here

robin
linckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 06:39 PM   #2
Ricod
(@_@) -("pretty lights")

You mean like a Q&A ? I don't see anything wrong with it ... I am of the whole "give a man a fish, feed him for a day, learn him to fish, feed him for life" philosophy, but each to its own.

(when someone asks something that can be answered with "don't forget the ";" at the end." I also prefer that over "Coding languages are thus built up that ... blah blah blah ... love to hear myself talk ... blah blah blah" etc.) So, situations differ, right ?

What students are you referring to ? Students of yours ?
Old 04-11-2003, 10:31 PM   #3
linckx
indeed

no-one personal, simply want to hear the main forum-opinion.

I really like that saying of the fishing...
that's what I was striving to do.

robin
linckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 10:20 AM   #4
Ricod
(@_@) -("pretty lights")

I think it's Chinese, not sure ... I'll go ask ! *ok, ok, it's just that I need an excuse to bother the cute chinese girls in the chinese class (1 guy, the rest girls)*
Old 04-12-2003, 10:58 AM   #5
buggedcom
CONTEMPLATING LIFE

Send a message via AIM to buggedcom

As you said i think it depends on the question asked. Being a student myself, but fairly good with actionscript i find it extremley important that sometimes people to produce code for you. For example just over christmas i was doing a project that involved the use of xml, and having never used it b4 i didn't have a clue, i tried to learn it by searching the threads but in the end i had to post about parsing it. At which point i think it was freddycodes who answered, helped me out with a complete parsing code, from which i learnt a great amount about xml and other ways of doing things in as. In other words he planted a seed and i watered it and nutured it and it's now grown into a full blown blossoming tree. much like the whole fish idea.

However if you see th same person over and over again asking for such complicated answers i think you have to ask what is happening. It would be wrong to take credit for such work.

I'm an interactive design student, and in the class i am the most knolegable of all things web and programming, so much so i think i prefer programming to design, but that's another issue. We have a tutor who is actually an ex student who is good with as, he comes in once a week to help everybody else out with their codes, and recentley i over heard him talking to a friend about writing her a code for measuring sound levels, which had exactly the same use as one of my projects that i had gone away and researched myself. At this point i became extremley confrontational. It was like i have spent three years building up my as knowledge to advance my job prospects, when someoone comes along and gives it away without that person having to do any work or research behind the idea. This i feel is wrong. A little of track to the main theme but i think i make a point here. (i would also like to say, i'm better than my tutor also - it has a little sense of satisfaction about it )

imageWeaver gallery
microsite direct download

play here microgame (unfinshed, also give it a while to load)
game
buggedcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 11:01 AM   #6
CyanBlue
Super Moderator

Ho... Ricod has a crush with that cute Chinese girl??? That's why he wasn't around thesedays???

linckx... Just give them the general ideas if they mention 'school'... and if they don't, go abit more details, but never give out the fish... then you are the one who's going to starve... Nah... You are going to be the one who is going to suffer because he/she is going to keep asking you for the code... Know what I mean???

The thing is that many teachers who teach Flash are not really into the Scripting in general... and I agree that students are to suffer from it... Well... Guess what??? They did register for the class, right??? Let them study by themselves... We are not supposed to digest whatever is in front of our mouth, right??? Let them learn how to make certain approach to certain problems... and let them take care of the rest... My 2 cents...
http://tutorials.FlashVacuum.com

Do NOT PM, Email or Call me... Your question belongs right in this forum...
CyanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 11:12 AM   #7
Ricod
(@_@) -("pretty lights")

CB, I haven't been around during the mid week for months now. Also, I said girlS not girl !

I'm wondering, do they teach "how to recognize and approach a problem" in those interaction design classes ? I've never found good tutorials for it on the web. It would save a lot of headaches I figure.
Old 04-12-2003, 11:17 AM   #8
buggedcom
CONTEMPLATING LIFE

no we don't really get taught as such, it's crits and tutorials but we have to mostly learnt it ourselves

imageWeaver gallery

game
Old 04-12-2003, 11:18 AM   #9
snapple

I cannot see any reason to differentiate between students and non-students, what difference does it make ?

If a web developer asked you to write 50 lines of code from scratch for him, you'd say no.

If a student asked you to write 50 lines of code from scratch, you'd say no.

Don't differ your answer because you are thinking about who is asking it, answer it on the merit of the question being asked.

Regards, snapple
snapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 11:26 AM   #10
buggedcom
CONTEMPLATING LIFE

true

imageWeaver gallery

game

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: