Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press

Go Back   ActionScript.org Forums > Community Boards > General Chat

Old 02-23-2004, 12:42 AM   #1
cdeg

Default Forum netiquette question

Hello,
I have a forum netiquette question. If I post a question in a folder (e.g., as I did in the Newbies folder) and receive no response (presumably because no one who has read the question knows the answer), is it frowned upon to re-post the question in another folder?

I'm not sure if forum participants read every folder, which could mean that someone who knew the answer to my question might not see it. On the other hand, I don't want to break any rules by "cross-posting" the same question in another folder. If it is irritating or considered bad form, I'll just try to find another Flash forum to post the question.

Thanks very much!
cdeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 04:26 AM   #2
McGiver
Goldmember

Nope it isn't ok.
If you didn't recieve an answer, try to reply on your own thread (something like "noone?") to get the thread back to the top, where people can read it, maybe this will help. (use this only once, if it doesn't work, it won't help to keep on posting your question to th to)

if you think you posted in the wrong board because the topic didn't fit in, try to post in another board.

In most cases threads stay unanswered because the question is not clear, or it doesn't contain enough information to give an answer.
http://www.actionscript.org/forums/s...threadid=37043

Last edited by McGiver; 02-23-2004 at 04:30 AM.
McGiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 05:32 AM   #3
stealthelephant
The Thread Collector

Send a message via AIM to stealthelephant Send a message via MSN to stealthelephant

i normally do the following
http://www.actionscript.org/forums/s...465#post209465
stealthelephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 09:38 AM   #4
cdeg

Thanks very much. Your answer and the list of guidelines were very helpful.

Quote:
Originally posted by McGiver
Nope it isn't ok.
If you didn't recieve an answer, try to reply on your own thread (something like "noone?") to get the thread back to the top, where people can read it, maybe this will help. (use this only once, if it doesn't work, it won't help to keep on posting your question to th to)

if you think you posted in the wrong board because the topic didn't fit in, try to post in another board.

In most cases threads stay unanswered because the question is not clear, or it doesn't contain enough information to give an answer.
http://www.actionscript.org/forums/s...threadid=37043
Old 02-23-2004, 09:40 AM   #5
cdeg

The "no one?" approach (used once) is good to know. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by stealthelephant
i normally do the following
http://www.actionscript.org/forums/s...465#post209465
Old 02-23-2004, 10:14 AM   #6
freddycodes
Master of Nothing

If noone is answering it, I disagree with the advice given. As I may know the answer but I never visit the newbie forums.

If noone has answered. Simply delete the thread and post it in another forum. That way noone will be able to accuse you of cross-posting. Well someone might, but they won't be able to prove it.

Personally, just one guy's opinion. Cross-posting doesn't bother me. But others it seems are looking for a chance to scream and holler at you for committing the smallest of infractions.
freddycodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 10:46 AM   #7
cdeg

That's helpful, freddycodes. I am doing searches of the forum trying to find information on my question. I am not finding a definitive answer, but I may be able to legitimately re-post the question incorporating what information I do find and asking if anyone knows more. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by freddycodes
If noone is answering it, I disagree with the advice given. As I may know the answer but I never visit the newbie forums.

If noone has answered. Simply delete the thread and post it in another forum. That way noone will be able to accuse you of cross-posting. Well someone might, but they won't be able to prove it.

Personally, just one guy's opinion. Cross-posting doesn't bother me. But others it seems are looking for a chance to scream and holler at you for committing the smallest of infractions.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:46 PM   #8
Ricod
(@_@) -("pretty lights")

I'm all for the deleting the unanswered one and reposting it, but only if it applies to the other forum. If it's an fx question and you get no answer, it's still not a reason to put it in one of the actionscript forums. (unless it's a scripted fx, then it's a judgement call ) Not that it will end the world or something, it's just more effective to have related items under the same topic.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:20 PM   #9
Colin Campbell

Just ask good, clear, and precise questions, and theres no need to delete the threads, now is there?
Colin Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:22 PM   #10
CyanBlue
Super Moderator

Well... Yes... Actually there is...

I am one of those meanies who yells at the people who crossposts... I don't really enjoy doing it but I do that because there are many more threads to browse through if you have to search the forum... When you search the forum with certain term, you see many blank posts with no information... Or, many threads with the same answers on each individual threads... You don't really want that... Don't you think???
http://tutorials.FlashVacuum.com

Do NOT PM, Email or Call me... Your question belongs right in this forum...
CyanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: