Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 03-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
krakatoa

Default AS2 to AS3 help

Hello guys,

I trying to convert the code below(AS2) to AS3. I guessing the onRollOver funtion (fade in and fade out) in AS3 is:

ActionScript Code:
button.addEventListener(MouseEvent.ROLL_OVER, manageMouseOver, false, 0, true); button.addEventListener(MouseEvent.ROLL_OUT, manageMouseOut, false, 0, true);   function manageMouseOver(event:MouseEvent):void{   //your over code here }   function manageMouseOut(event:MouseEvent):void{   //your out code here }

If yes any idea if I need to change something in the funtions fadeIn and fadeOut?

AS2:

ActionScript Code:
/*Buttons Effect code */ function fadeIn (bgClip) {     bgClip.onEnterFrame = function ()     {         if (this._alpha < 100)         {             this._alpha += 20;         }     }; } function fadeOut (bgClip) {     bgClip.onEnterFrame = function ()     {         if (this._alpha > 0)         {             this._alpha -= 20;         }     }; } home_btn.onRollOver = function () {     fadeIn (red); }; home_btn.onRollOut = function () {     fadeOut (red); }; about_btn.onRollOver = function () {     fadeIn (red2); }; about_btn.onRollOut = function () {     fadeOut (red2); }; products_btn.onRollOver = function () {     fadeIn (red3); }; products_btn.onRollOut = function () {     fadeOut (red3); }; services_btn.onRollOver = function () {     fadeIn (red4); }; services_btn.onRollOut = function () {     fadeOut (red4); }; videos_btn.onRollOver = function () {     fadeIn (red5); }; videos_btn.onRollOut = function () {     fadeOut (red5); }; contact_btn.onRollOver = function () {     fadeIn (red6); }; contact_btn.onRollOut = function () {     fadeOut (red6); };

Thanks in advance.
krakatoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
dmb85

• Remove underscores from property names (_alpha becomes alpha)
  • Properties that used to go from 0 to 100 now go from 0 to 1
  • onEnterFrame needs to be an event listener like the MouseEvents: addEventListener( Event.ENTER_FRAME, functionName )
dmb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
krakatoa

I tried that look:

ActionScript Code:
/*Buttons Effect code */ addEventListener(Event.ENTER_FRAME, fadeIn); function fadeIn(event:Event) { if (this.alpha < 1)      {       this.alpha += .20;      } } home_btn.addEventListener(MouseEvent.ROLL_OVER, manageMouseOver, false, 0, true);   function manageMouseOver(event:MouseEvent):void{   fadeIn (red); }

But i get the error:

Scene 1, Layer 'Actions', Frame 1, Line 26 1067: Implicit coercion of a value of type flash.display:MovieClip to an unrelated type flash.events:Event.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
dmb85

Your fadeIn function needs modification:

ActionScript Code:
function fadeIn(mc:MovieClip) { if (mc.alpha < 1)      {       mc.alpha += .20;      } }
Old 03-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
krakatoa

So'll be something like:

ActionScript Code:
/*Buttons Effect code */ addEventListener(Event.ENTER_FRAME, fadeIn); function fadeIn(mc:MovieClip) { if (mc.alpha < 1)     {                mc.alpha += .20;     } } home_btn.addEventListener(MouseEvent.ROLL_OVER, manageMouseOver, false, 0, true);   function manageMouseOver(event:MouseEvent):void{   fadeIn (red); }

cause this time I have this output:

ActionScript Code:
TypeError: Error #1034: Type Coercion failed: cannot convert flash.events::Event@3a542511 to flash.display.MovieClip.

I tried this:

import flash.display.MovieClip; in the second line, but nothing
Old 03-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
henke37

Send a message via Skype™ to henke37

Please go and learn about type safety. You are getting incorrect advice and are unable to tell the difference between bad and good advice.

Event listeners have exactly one argument, the event object. This is not the object that the event happened to, it is the object representing the event itself.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
dmb85

Ok sorry I only skimmed your code the first time and didn't fully comprehend what you were trying to do. Undo what I said in my last post.

Your problem is that you've written the fadeIn function to be something called by an event listener, but then you try to call fadeIn here:

ActionScript Code:
function manageMouseOver(event:MouseEvent):void{   fadeIn (red); }

You cant do this since you've defined fadeIn to receive an Event object, not a movieclip object. One way to fix it is to change it so that manageMouseOVer only adds/removes the ENTER_FRAME event listener.

With that said...

What you are trying to do would be better accomplished with a tweening engine like GreenSock TweenLite.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: