Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 03-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
CdnReaper

Default Flash Site does not load correctly

My Site motherboardsolutions.net78.net will not load correctly on host, i have tried other flash sites on same host and they work. not sure what is wrong with this site but when viewed local offline it works and functions perfect.

i have no idea what to fix with the flash file. i bought the template for $78 US and modified the xml file with my data and content. never had a issue until site went on to host

any help would be great tahnks in advance
CdnReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
adninjastrator

Could be a pathing issue.
All the Flash assets must be in the exact folder structure that the template is expecting. You can't just create your own folders without changing the path in the .swf (to the xml file for example).
for review:
Quote:
Pathing issues

Almost always when it works on the local machine and not the server, it's a pathing problem.
You can put your Flash related files in whatever folders you want, they do NOT have to be in the root, they do NOT all have to be in the same folder. But if you have a problem and if sticking them all in the root folder works, then you know that the issue was a pathing problem.
Just remember that paths used in the .swf become relative to the Web page on which the .swf is placed, NOT itís physical location. So for example, if your .swf is in the flash/data folder and you use that .swf on a Web page in the root folder, you are in effect, removing that .swf from flash/data and putting it in root. So if the .swf is loading any related files (xml, images, video, etc), the path used inside the .swf to load the .xml file has to be relative to it's new location in root and then back down into flash/data. This is true even though when testing the .swf by itself, it can be inside flash/data and work just fine, since relative to it's location, the path is just fine, they are in the same folder. But if that same path is used when the .swf is placed on a page two folder levels up, the relative path has changed, the old "same folder" path will not work.
In fact if you are placing the .swf on a web page in a different folder than the .swf is stored in, and that .swf calls external assets, then direct clicking and opening of the .swf in itís folder should NOT work! Thatís because the paths to the external assets should be relative to the Web page and not the physical location of the .swf.
So just be sure that you use addresses relative to the final Web page locations (not physical file locations) and you can put the Flash related files in what ever folders you want.
Best wishes,
Eye for Video
www.cidigitalmedia.com
Best wishes,
Adninjastrator
adninjastrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
CdnReaper

how can I edit the path ?

I have the files in same folders and named the same as the original template but it still is broken
Old 03-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
CdnReaper

ok I give up this thing is making me so mad id rather do a whole new site then fight this stupid thing last attempt if someone can look over my index and xml see if I have done something wrong

Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
<title></title>

<link href="style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

</head>

<body>
	<table style="height:700px;">
		<tr>
			<td align="center">
				<table style=" width:766px;" align="center">
					<tr>
						<td width="766" align="center">
							<!--Valid flash version 8.0-->
							<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
										  codebase="../../../pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,24"
										  width="766" height="700">
							  <param name="movie" value="flash/main8_v8.swf">
							  <param name="quality" value="high">
							  <param name="menu" value="false">
							  <!--[if !IE]> <-->
							  <object data="flash/main8_v8.swf"
											width="766" height="700" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">
								 <param name="quality" value="high">
								 <param name="menu" value="false">
								 <param name="pluginurl" value="../../../go/getflashplayer">
								 FAIL (the browser should render some flash content, not this).
							  </object>
							  <!--> <![endif]-->
							</object>
						</td>
					</tr>
				</table>
			</td>
		</tr>
	</table>
</body>
</html>
Old 03-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
adninjastrator

I still think it's most likely a pathing issue.
And remember, that includes the pathing to assets URLs inside the .xml file. Once you call the .xml file into the .swf, then you are in effect moving the .xml file to the Web page also. So now asset URLs listed in the .xml must reflect the new location on the Web page.
Review my discussion on pathing here:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/4294875#4294875
my second post includes an example of how to path assets that are called in an xml file.
Again, I'd say it's just a pathing issue.
Best wishes,
Adninjastrator
Old 04-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
CdnReaper

Code:
//Frame 0
//  Action tag #0

function onFinish(success_boolean, results_obj, xml)
{
    if (success_boolean) 
    {
        play();
    }
}
Stage.align = "MC";
Stage.scaleMode = "noScale";
url = "tfile";
stop();
var parsed_obj = {};
gs.dataTransfer.XMLParser.load(url + "_main.xml", onFinish, parsed_obj);
stop();
_root.emp.useHandCursor = 0;
_root.mus = 1;
_root.n = 1;
_root.num = 1;
I still do not understand where to make said changes, I see nothing in macro flash pro to change scripts, if I open the swf in Trillix I see the above scripts

I don't see anything like your examples on the link you directed me too
Old 04-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
adninjastrator

Well if you can't change any part of the actionscript, then you need to go back over the file and folder structure on your local machine and make sure you exactly duplicate it on the server.
You say:
Quote:
never had a issue until site went on to host
For example, if all the Flash content is in one folder, then you must keep that same structure on the server.
Code:
<param name="movie" value="flash/main8_v8.swf">
Did you create the folder named "flash"? did the original template have that folder in it?
You must mimic exactly the folder structure of the original template.
Second to that, be sure that all file and folder names of all the Flash related files (photos or whatever) are all lower case and have no spaces in file names.
For example, "My Photo.jpg" will work on local machine but may not work on the server. Server is case sensative... so the image should be named "my_photo.jpg
If you still have problems implementing the template, you should contact the place where you bought it... that's there business and they should support it.
Best wishes,
Adninjastrator
Old 04-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
CdnReaper

yes everything is setup exactly the same as on local machine

same folders and such pictures and names all correct and case sensitive

now my host forces me to upload my site into there folder public_html

so my actual path of storage on host is public_html/flash/main8_v8.swf and so forth for all files

would I have to add that to the index.html ?

I also have a gs/data storage folder for my xmlFunctions and XMLParser actionscripts would I have to change anything in those files for the paths ?
Old 04-03-2012, 02:02 AM   #9
adninjastrator

Your public_html folder is your root folder.
So your index page... Home page would simply be index.html...
no "public_html" needed in the address or any paths.
Quote:
I also have a gs/data storage folder for my xmlFunctions and XMLParser actionscripts
Yipes!! That's why I sort of steer clear of Templates... you really never know for sure how everything works.
I just don't have anything else to add. If this template actually works on your local machine but not on the server.... there is a reason!
... pathing is wrong, files are missing or uploaded to wrong folder... etc., all the stuff I've already covered.
But with a template, there is always the unknown... since neither you nor I created and completely understand it.
Best wishes,
Adninjastrator
Old 04-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
CdnReaper

yea thats what I figured too

everything is set the exact same on server as on local but it will not work on server

pathing is set good everywhere I can see, and if I try a different flash template on same host it works without a issue and without changing anything. so thinking the flash template is just crap guess I will have to setup something different now

thanx for the suggestions

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: