Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 04-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
vynn3

Unhappy play button to start the video

Hey guys, I'm new to Actionscript (and Flash, for that matter), but I'm trying to learn them both for work. I come from a print background, plus I'm an old guy (46), so this has been pretty excruciating.

I've been through training on lynda.com, but here's the hard part - I'm using Flash CS5, but the company's system can only use Actionscript 2.0. A lot of the training aids I'm using like lynda.com and an old copy of "Actionscript for Dummies" don't seem to work in CS5, even when my output settings are set to publish to AS 2.0. I found an ancient trial version of FlashMX, and everything that didn't work in CS5 worked there, but needless to say the 30 day trial didn't give me time to learn much.

Long story short (or is it too late for that?), I'm having a really hard time learning "obsolete" software.

For example, a project I'm working on needs a separate "play" button for an embedded video file. I know the player itself has controls on the skin, but the client wants a big, pretty "play" button to start the video. I have the video placed in the flash file (works fine), and the pretty play button built, but I can't figure out how to make it work. Everything I'm finding online describes how to do this in AS 3.0, but I need it to work in AS 2.0. Can anyone please help?

Please feel free to talk down to me like a child - that's probably the level that I'm at right now...

vm
vynn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:57 AM   #2
tacos
Grrrrrrrrreat!

Can you provide your .fla? Since you can't upload it here, you could upload it to www.tinyupload.com and then provide here the link to download it... Since you can't post full url's either, omit the http://www. part when posting it here...
Be better if you downsaved your .fla (Save As... under another name...) in a CS4 format, changing the document type in the Save As window...
Old 04-14-2012, 01:14 AM   #3
vynn3

Sure! I'll have to do it first thing Monday morning, though, as I don't have access to work files till then. Thanks!

vm
Old 04-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
vynn3

Not having any luck with tinyupload.com. Seems to be hanging up on me...

Is there any way someone could just post some code and/or gimme some tips?

vm

Last edited by vynn3; 04-16-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
tacos
Grrrrrrrrreat!

I've provided you with an e-mail address in a PM... Maybe you can mail me your .fla?
Old 04-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
vynn3

Ah, at least I found the issue with the upload: the .fla is huge -- nearly 50mb compressed. Like I said, there's an embedded video, we don't want it streamed. May be impractical, but...

So, too big to post and/or email, and I'd prefer not to arrange an FTP site. This is company material, so I'm trying to be careful with it and keep it on the down-low.

Sorry if I'm making this too difficult, I appreciate any help you can provide. Any other options?
Old 04-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
tacos
Grrrrrrrrreat!

Only other option I can see is zipping it up, try tinyupload our www.yousendit.com or a FTP but providing the link in a PM to me so that it's not public...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: