Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 05-15-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
BlueRocker

Default [AS3] Radio Button - help with if/else statement

I have a form that as someone fills it out, animations on the stage become visible. For instance, I have one that says "are you Male or Female" with radio buttons and I want a male of female animation on the stage to become visible when the respective button is selected.

I tried writing my Actionscript 3 code like
ActionScript Code:
MalePerson.visible = false; FemalePerson.visible = false; if(radioMale.selected = true) {         MalePerson.visible = true;     }     else if (radioMale.selected = false){ FemalePerson.visible = true; }

MalePerson is the animation on the stage that will become visible and "radioMake" is that radio buttons instance name. Im just not sure how to write the "if" statement so that the animation will appear when the button is selected and not waiting on a "submit" button to be pressed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited by BlueRocker; 05-15-2012 at 01:59 AM.
BlueRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:30 AM   #2
USAFDrew2011
Flash_Developer

ActionScript Code:
someButton.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, checkGender, false, 0, true) function checkGender(event:MouseEvent):void {      MalePerson.visible = false; FemalePerson.visible = false; if(radioMale.selected = true) {         MalePerson.visible = true;     }     else if (radioMale.selected = false){ FemalePerson.visible = true; } }
USAFDrew2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:41 AM   #3
FusionFactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRocker View Post
Im just not sure how to write the "if" statement so that the animation will appear when the button is selected and not waiting on a "submit" button to be pressed.

Well, you could use a MouseEvent.CLICK listener directly on the radio.

ActionScript Code:
radioMale.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, checkGender) function checkGender(e:MouseEvent):void {       if(radioMale.selected)       {             MalePerson.visible = true;             FemalePerson.visible = false;       }       else if(!radioMale.selected)       {             MalePerson.visible = false;             FemalePerson.visible = true;       } }

Also, in my opinion, its a bit better practice to use .alpha rather than .visible. Unlike .visible, .alpha is a number (0-1). I just find it easier and more flexible to use.

Last edited by FusionFactor; 05-15-2012 at 02:45 AM.
FusionFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
henke37

Send a message via Skype™ to henke37

Even better, listen for the Event.CHANGE event on the control, it will only fire when there really has been a change.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
BlueRocker

Yes, thank you everyone! That is what I was looking for. I see now I had to turn that into a function and since I did not want it to change based on a button click, the Event.CHANGE worked perfect.
BlueRocker is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: