Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 07-07-2012, 05:16 AM   #1
MichaelBaker

Default Objects and Optimization

I got in the habit of creating a global variable object that contains all global variables used in the class...
private var core = {
varOne:"blahOne",
varTwo:"blahTwo"
};
then through the class i would just use core.varOne and so on. I started this because i once needed two class to be able to adjust the core variables of each other and instead of creating public get/set properties for each variable i just had to create one that referenced the core object.

Now im wondering optimization wise, how much does using core.varOne differ from just varOne. Im working with particles and a lot of variables and im wondering if using this method is slowing me down...

Thanks
MichaelBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
Sonny

When you do create a object . flash compiler doesnt validate it . (ie) the type is figured at run time . So when you refer to core.varOne. 1) the compiler doesnt know what core.varOne is . or if core.varOne even exists. Also if you just use core.varOne there is a fat chance varOne never got declared. So the compiler would still compile yet there will be run time crashes..( If refering to objects I prefer the array access and checking it for undefined. as in core["varOne"]) .Unless really required for some reason I prefer to avoid it. But programming is a field of needs and requirements .So you might have to choose between one or the other depending on what you want I guess.
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: