Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press

Go Back   ActionScript.org Forums > ActionScript Forums Group > Simple Stuff (Newbies)

Old 07-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
CubeRtRoN

Default Recommend a book?

Hello everyone , I know programming languages like Java , C++ very well and I am also very familiar with Object Oriented and Data structures. I have seen actionscript 3 books but they have too much beginners stuff ( how to declare a variable , conditional statements etc) . I don't really want to study that st. So is there any book that is a bit advanced?

Thanks
CubeRtRoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
marlopax

Which of those books you have seen?

And on which IDE you are going to develop?

Old 07-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
[afz]snickelfitz

Colin Moock's "Essential Actionscript 3.0" covers some advanced topics and it is OOP oriented. Here's a link to the sampler:
http://cdn.oreilly.com/oreilly/books...48-sampler.pdf
[afz]snickelfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
CubeRtRoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlopax View Post
Which of those books you have seen?

And on which IDE you are going to develop?

I am going to use Flash Develop

Quote:
Originally Posted by [afz]snickelfitz View Post
Colin Moock's "Essential Actionscript 3.0" covers some advanced topics and it is OOP oriented. Here's a link to the sampler:
Thanks for the suggestion . Keep it coming people
Old 07-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #5
marlopax

Yes Essential Actionscript 3.0 is GOOD.

I don't think you need books, instead you need practice with proper syntax ans knowing the Classes and Capabilities of each Classes. For that read ActionScript 3 Doc. As you already have grips on OOP concept you need not need much time in AS3.

Forum is another place to know Advance Technic if you need.

Other than that you can use FD forum if you have any problems in IDE. There are many tutorials out there for advance AS3 programming.

Happy Journey.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
CubeRtRoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlopax View Post
Yes Essential Actionscript 3.0 is GOOD.

I don't think you need books, instead you need practice with proper syntax ans knowing the Classes and Capabilities of each Classes. For that read ActionScript 3 Doc. As you already have grips on OOP concept you need not need much time in AS3.

Forum is another place to know Advance Technic if you need.

Other than that you can use FD forum if you have any problems in IDE. There are many tutorials out there for advance AS3 programming.

Happy Journey.

The problem with random programming tutorial is that there is no flow. Meaning that you should know this before reading the tutorial and after the tutorial you can do this stuff , that is why I am looking for a book .
Old 07-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #7
[afz]snickelfitz

Here's an interesting video series by Colin Moock. Basically just a set of informal discussions on core AS3 concepts.
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/actionsc...s_weekend.html
[afz]snickelfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:34 AM   #8
FusionFactor

Exclamation

I learned AS3 and didn't flip a single page. Tutsplus is a great resource, along with YouTube. Then again, I am more of a visual learner. I found those two ways the easiest to learn from.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
suresh02sd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubeRtRoN View Post
The problem with random programming tutorial is that there is no flow. Meaning that you should know this before reading the tutorial and after the tutorial you can do this stuff , that is why I am looking for a book .
i totally agree with that. that's why 02geek.com is all about from start to end videos taking students step by step with exams interaction and live support when you get stuck. some people don't need/want videos so books is a good option.

i know some developers here will say no don't pay for something that is free but the reality is the quality of free material usually isn't the same or its isolated and assumes to many assumptions on the user. the hard part is not the content its all free online out there. its how you organize it to make it easy(and some times hard) on the learner. you should check them out if you log in with facebook they automatically set your account to be 100% free for the day.

i think the biggest problem with books is the same its easy to not really understand something and move on - its impossible on a site like 02geek and if you read a book on top of it that's just smart thinking. its never good to relay on one source to learn but to relay on one source for your learning path isn't a bad idea!

I'm using them and extremely happy (I'm even working for them part time as i can't afford the membership so they gave me a discount and in return i help out where ever i can).
suresh02sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:52 AM   #10
pirateplatypus

I think the "Actionscript 3.0 Bible" by Roger Braunstein is a pretty great book. The first chapter or two is probably too simple for someone that is proficient in other languages. After that it's a very solid reference for AS 3.0.
pirateplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: