Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 11-01-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
JoeDeveloper

Default TextInput control

I have a TextInput box for a user to enter a number of the format XXXX.XXX

The user enters both the decimal point and the numbers (0-9). The largest the number can get is 9999.999. Is there any way in which I can put a restriction on this TextInput box for the parameters I listed above (users can't enter more than four numbers before the decimal point and no more than three numbers after inputting a decimal point)?

I've tried manipulating a few things (ie, restrict, maxChars, etc) but I can't find anything that works. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Other ideas are welcomed as long as I get the format above!

Thanks

Last edited by JoeDeveloper; 11-01-2007 at 03:22 PM.
JoeDeveloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:23 PM   #2
Can I

the solution would be to create your own Validator and use it with TextInput control

// actually there already is a RegExpValidator you can use

Last edited by Can I; 11-01-2007 at 04:29 PM.
Can I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:04 PM   #3
JoeDeveloper

RegExpValidator only validates if you give it an expression to compare against. I don't know what a user will put it because the user can input anywhere from 0-9999.999. They don't even have to put in a decimal point in if there is none, so a user can also input something like 3454. The main thing is that I contain the user to XXXX.XXX format.

Or am I understanding RegExpValidator completely wrong?

Thanks for the above help though.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
krullwarking

Default validator

RegExpValidator only validates if you give it an expression to compare against. I don't know what a user will put it because the user can input anywhere from 0-9999.999. They don't even have to put in a decimal point in if there is none, so a user can also input something like 3454. The main thing is that I contain the user to XXXX.XXX format.

Or am I understanding RegExpValidator completely wrong?

your validator only needs to be sure that the value is between 0 and 9999.999. Then you need a formatter that will do any formatting you want link pad with leading zeros and or add the decimal plus the trailing zero. the logic flows like this:

is the number between 0 and 9999.999
Yes:format the number nicely and return it. :::: see mx.formatters
No:Return an error
krullwarking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:20 AM   #5
Can I

@JoeDeveloper you've got it right, nonetheless you can write a regex that will do the job

krullwarking's method might be easier though
Old 11-02-2007, 12:34 PM   #6
JoeDeveloper

Can I use RegExpValidator to check if the values I'm getting are between 0 and 9999.999 or would I have to use RegEx?

How would I set up the expression (since the input can be within a range, I can not set an expression to an exact string)? Sample coding would help!

I'm a little new to FLEX so please bare with me.

Thanks for all the help so far everyone!

Last edited by JoeDeveloper; 11-02-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:02 PM   #7
Can I

Im not very good at regex myself, but use this to play with it: http://www.ultrapico.com/Expresso.htm
Old 04-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #8
kreddy79

Thumbs up Solution

ActionScript Code:
private function validateDecimal(evt:Event,maxbefore:int,maxafter:int):void {   //RegExp for both Negative and Non Negative /^[+-]?\d{0,3}\.?\d{1,2}$/i   var expString:String = "^\\d{0,"+maxbefore+"}\\.?\\d{1,"+maxafter+"}$";   var decimalRegex:RegExp = new RegExp(expString,"i");   var inputText:String = TextInput(evt.currentTarget).text;   if(inputText && inputText.indexOf(",")>= 0 ){           var decimalSep:RegExp = /,/g;            inputText = inputText.replace(decimalSep,"");   }   if (decimalRegex.test(inputText)) {        TextInput(evt.currentTarget).errorString = null;        var myFormatter:NumberFormatter=new NumberFormatter();        myFormatter.precision=2;        myFormatter.useThousandsSeparator = true;        myFormatter.useNegativeSign = false;        TextInput(evt.currentTarget).text = myFormatter.format(inputText);    } else {          TextInput(evt.currentTarget).errorString = "Please enter valid number,should be between 0-99,999,999,999.99";     } } private function replaceComma(evt:Event):void{     var inputText:String = TextInput(evt.currentTarget).text;     if(inputText && inputText.indexOf(",")>= 0 ){          var decimalSep:RegExp = /,/g;          inputText = inputText.replace(decimalSep,"");         TextInput(evt.currentTarget).text = inputText;     } }
Code:
<mx:TextInput maxChars="14" focusIn="replaceComma(event)" focusOut="validateDecimal(event,11,2)" restrict="0-9." />
kreddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: