Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 12-14-2007, 04:52 AM   #1
Stuv

Red face Causing the browser to crash

Hi all,

I'm the developer of puzzlebee on facebook, and after a recent code update users began complaining of flash crashing the browser with "Illegal Operation in PlugIn: Shockwave Flash". Nothing really major was changed, so I'm thinking its a certain combination/sequence of regular actionscript causing it.

From feedback it seems to happen in any of the the major browsers and flash players, but I'm unable to reproduce it on any of our computers. For some users it always happens, on others only sometimes. From looking on various threads it appears to be a common problem where certain sites for these users will cause a crash, and I need to get this working even for these users, since it worked before the update.

So I'm asking if anyone knows a configuration of which causes this error? It seems to be something more that browser/flash versions, sounds like something conflicting with flash

Even better would be a solution, but I'm sure i could fix quickly it if I could at least test for it.

Thanks

Stuv
Stuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 02:08 AM   #2
ds.pixeled
Minister of Silly Walks

Send a message via AIM to ds.pixeled Send a message via MSN to ds.pixeled Send a message via Yahoo to ds.pixeled

Most of the time when I get an error where Flash (in this case Flash Player) forces the file to stop it's because I've scripted an action that will keep recurring indefinitely in an ever multiplying amount, but not the onEnterFrame sort where it's called once per frame but hundreds to the point where it'd bring the computer to a stand-still due to the total demand of processing power.

Obviously whatever the error is it's in your update. I've never used it but if it loads data into it from an external source and you changed it recently you might start there. Especially if you do any test that initiates a call for information or something like that.

If the only update you're talking about is your own file it'll be something like that I'd imagine.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:18 AM   #3
Stuv

Looks like its been narrowed down to a dialog i added with htmltext, take it out and the users all seems happy

Anyone encountered something like this before? Strange thing is Ive been using htmltext in other places the whole time with no problem, so maybe because it runs on the first frame?
Stuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:45 AM   #4
ds.pixeled
Minister of Silly Walks

Send a message via AIM to ds.pixeled Send a message via MSN to ds.pixeled Send a message via Yahoo to ds.pixeled

Could be that the HTML that was being rendered was causing the problem.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: