Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 03-19-2006, 11:04 AM   #1
WarMecha

Question simple startDrag() referencing problem?

Ok, this is simple stuff, I'm pretty sure I'm just being a complete nonce here but I just cant work it out....

Pretty simple, I have a function that's called from one point in the movie (I put a trace in this function so it is being called correctly). This function amongst other thing contains a startDrag() for a button. This button, when you click it, is what calls the function and also is the button that I want to make draggable.

The setup is like this:

_root -> MC1 -> MC2 -> button

So _root has in it MC1 which has in it MC2 which in turn has in it the button. the function code is on the _root timeline, and is called when you click the button and the button is also the subject of the startDrag() content of the function.

I use a with() command in the function to save a bit of code, in this case:

with(MC1.MC2){}

The startDrag() command in this with command this is then set like this:

button.startDrag(false, var, ious, para, meters);

Pretty straightforward huh? The problem is the button just wont drag! I cannot for the life of me work out why, its starting to drive me round the bend! I have also tried the old way of referencing:

startDrag("button", false, var, ious, para, meters); and also
startDrag(button, false, var, ious, para, meters);

I have also traced the boundary parameters to make sure they are right and even taken them away completely to no affect. My conclusion is I must be referencing the button incorrectly, but to me the code all looks good, can anyone else spot anything?
WarMecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 12:00 PM   #2
WarMecha

this is gonna be one of those posts that no-one answers to isnt it?
Old 03-19-2006, 03:18 PM   #3
darkzak

You cannot drag the button itself. Instead you need to drag the movieclip that contains the button.

So in your example you should be dragging mc2. Which would look like:
ActionScript Code:
mc1.mc2.btn.onPress = function() {  this._parent.startDrag();//drags the mc2 movieclip }
darkzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 04:05 PM   #4
WarMecha

I also thought that was the case, but actually you can drag a button. Anyhow, tried that already and it hasnt didnt work. Ended up by moving the functions onto the actual movies/buttons they are called from and got it working that way. Still dont know what the issue was but its working now anyway.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: