Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 03-29-2006, 05:35 PM   #1
SteveAction

Default LoadMC, then set x and y position

I'd like a button click on release to load a movie clip on level 1. Since the mc is smaller than the main movie, I'd like to reposition the mc's x and y position lower down. The following Actionscript loaded the movie above the main movie, but it stayed in the upper left instead of in the coordinates I specified. Can you tell me what needs to be corrected?

on (release) {
loadMovieNum("movie_action.swf", 1);
setProperty("movie_action.swf", _x, "206");
setProperty("movie_action.swf", _y, "540");
}

Thanks,
Steve
SteveAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:16 AM   #2
Vache
Discontented Fame

Send a message via MSN to Vache

Hmm, I would have loaded the swf in another mc with the loadMovie command then just set the _x and _y of the container MC.
Vache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:24 AM   #3
sophistikat
Game On

+ create an empty movieclip
+ position it
+ load its content
ActionScript Code:
on (release) {     _root.createEmptyMovieClip("mc_action", _root.getNextHighestDepth());     _root.mc_action._x = 206;     _root.mc_action._y = 540;     _root.mc_action.loadMovie("movie_action.swf"); }
sophistikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 02:44 AM   #4
oldnewbie
Banned by AS.org Staff

Doh! getNextHighestDepth() on a MX and lower only forum? You should know better!

You can't position a movie loaded on another level, until your sure it's fully loaded, and certainely not on the same actionscript as the loadMovieNum action itself...

The workaround in this case, is to preset the position within the "to be loaded" movie iself, by adding the following on it's first frame...

this._x = 206;
this._y = 540;
oldnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:48 PM   #5
sophistikat
Game On

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnewbie
Doh! getNextHighestDepth() on a MX and lower only forum? You should know better!
as i was typing the script i was thinking 'i don't think getNextHighestDepth() works for MX' but then i thought 'if i'm wrong i can count on oldnewbie to prove me wrong'
ActionScript Code:
on (release) {     _root.createEmptyMovieClip("mc_action", 1);     _root.mc_action._x = 206;     _root.mc_action._y = 540;     _root.mc_action.loadMovie("movie_action.swf"); }
sorry Steve for the wrong script i should have tested getNextHighestDepth when i wasn't 100% sure and there's no excuse on my part... i do have flash 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8 installed at home.
sophistikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:40 PM   #6
SteveAction

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophistikat
as i was typing the script i was thinking 'i don't think getNextHighestDepth() works for MX' but then i thought 'if i'm wrong i can count on oldnewbie to prove me wrong'
ActionScript Code:
on (release) {     _root.createEmptyMovieClip("mc_action", 1);     _root.mc_action._x = 206;     _root.mc_action._y = 540;     _root.mc_action.loadMovie("movie_action.swf"); }
sorry Steve for the wrong script i should have tested getNextHighestDepth when i wasn't 100% sure and there's no excuse on my part... i do have flash 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8 installed at home.

Thanks for all your help! That worked great. I need to put the movie in a mc in order to place the x y position. I'll keep learning! Now I'll add a button to unload the movie ...

Thanks,
Steve
SteveAction is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: