Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 06-15-2006, 03:36 AM   #1
bdemil

Default Flash Actionscript Career Advice?

Hey all,

I haven't seen folks talking about Flash/Actionscript career questions here yet, but let me know if there is a better place to ask this.

I'm a programmer and have done lots of database work. I've been learning Actionscript 2.0 and love to do Flash projects for educational projects on the side.

I'm trying to find out about compensation in the Flash/Actionscripting field to see if a Actionscript career might be in the cards for me. Also, if my background is too technical and not designer enough?

I've worked professionally in Calif. in ColdFusion, HTML, and CSS but that focused on database stuff. I'm thinking I could try to make the switch - but I'd love to get an idea of my switching from doing stuff like Oracle PL/SQL into Flash and Actionscript would "keep me in the matter to which I have become accustomed." heh heh

I also saw a bunch of the Employment postings asking for formal graphics training. Maybe I would need some formal training to make me marketable on the graphics side? I was thinking with my background I would lean towards the "Actionscript Guru" to sell myself?

Any feedback from you pro's out there on the US market if I were to take the time to become really good at Actionscript with my other database and CF background?

My educational background is BS in Information Technology and MA in teaching.

Thanks
bdemil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:48 PM   #2
tg
done

at this point you might want to look into flex and as3.0. as2 prog probably wont make as much as a oracle/plsql dev will.

you cf skills have probably already exposed you to flex 1.5 anytime you have created a <cfform format="flash></cfform> you have created a flex1.5 object.

it is really easy to include as scripting into this form using the cftag....... but i have now gotten off the topic.

anyway. i think flex/as3 programmers will be in more demand then as2 prog. and as soon as a company sees quality db programming, you will probably get pulled more into that side of things.
tg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:03 PM   #3
bdemil

Zoikes - I've been toting around my ActionScript MX 2004 Bible for the last 3 months! Now I've got to get an AS3 Bible? ha ha At least I've gotten a good workout.

I'll check as3 and flex out. I haven't looked into it at all.
bdemil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:35 PM   #4
tg
done

well it is just one guys opinion.

but take a loot in our flex forums also.
tg is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: