Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 07-06-2006, 05:25 PM   #1
Thayn

Default RollOver/rollOut problems

Okay, I have a top navigation menu with a fit canvas and invisible button/movie clip menu items. Inside the movie clips I have the animation with the initial frames of the animation labeled "in" and "out" for the rollOver and rollOut effect--I have 2 problems

1: when the user rolls over very quickly across the buttons sometimes Flash doesn't seem to process that the user just rolled over the button or on some cases rolled off the button so it does not execute the animation.

2:when the user leaves the canvas or the .swf in this case (because the canvas is fit and the .swf is part of a front page) the rollOut function is not executed.

Here is the code i've been using on the buttons...it may just be a dumb mistake I made--or there might be an easier more efficient and effective way:

on(rollOver) {
button1.gotoAndPlay ("in");
}

on(rollOut) {
button1.gotoAndPlay ("out");
}

thanks,

Thayn

Last edited by Thayn; 07-06-2006 at 05:27 PM.
Thayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:01 PM   #2
Thayn

okay...well, i tried something else...and it's still doing the same things. I did change the code though--I just placed the invisible button within the movie clip instead of on the root timeline.

on(rollOver) {
stop();
gotoAndPlay ("in")
}
on(releaseOutside, rollOut) {
stop();
gotoAndPlay ("out")
}

my reasoning for inserting the stop code is that possibly flash is being "glitchy" because it's trying to finish the rollover/out animation so it is not executing the next command so i thought stopping it before i tell the timeline to go to another location may fix it....it didn't.

Last edited by Thayn; 07-06-2006 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:30 PM   #3
Navarone
Don

Sometimes this "glitchiness" is cause by gaps between your invisible buttons. Make sure the invisible buttons are tight up against one another.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:04 PM   #4
Thayn

yeah. I don't think that's it though...they're all touching. hmmm....i wonder what it is?
Old 07-07-2006, 03:33 PM   #5
Thayn

i'm sure this is just some simple code problem and i could mess around by myself but I know others that have this same problem...so I thought you all might have an answer to my dilemma.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:37 PM   #6
Navarone
Don

If you go very slowly over each button does the animation work for each button? Can you post the fla?
Old 07-07-2006, 04:04 PM   #7
Thayn

yes, it does work if you go over the buttons or exit the .swf slowly. and i probably won't be able to post the .fla, where would i post it to if i was going to?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: