Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 05-29-2002, 09:13 PM   #1
Alice

Question looping through recordset pulled from asp

I'm pulling three db fields that, along with a little html, add up to a url to a quiz. I've set up an asp file that pulls the data and am able to yank it into the Flash with this coding:

onClipEvent(data)
{

strQuiz = "<a href='" + this["QuizType"] +"?QuizID=" + this["QuizID"] + "'>" + this["QuizName"] + "</a><br><br>";
}

onClipEvent(load)
{
CurrentRecord = 0;
loadVariables ("GetQuiz.asp?Record=0", this);
}

What I can't figure out is how to loop through the recordset to list all the records. I'm used to working in asp, and can't seem to get this through my thick skull. Any help from out there would be really appreciated.
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 10:41 PM   #2
tg
done

do you want flash to loop thru a set number of records with multiple loadVariables() actions, just loading the variables you need for that specific record?

or do you want asp to loop through all the records and write a file with all of the variables (for all the records) you need?
tg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 11:00 PM   #3
Alice

From the database table, my query in the asp file only pulls the three fields that I need to use for this. I want to take this data, in this case about 5 or 6 records with three fields each, and present a links list in Flash. Of the three records pulled, QuizType is the file name for the link (quiz.asp or quizWM.asp), QuizID is the quiz number, and QuizName is the name of the quiz. I'm adding in the html in the Flash action script to complete the url to the quiz. So, what I'm wanting to see is a list of links like this only they'd be links instead of printed out like this:

<a href="quiz.asp?QuizID=34">All About Cats</a>
<a href="quiz.asp?QuizID=55">More About Cats</a>

I can make this happen for one record, but I can't get the coding right for repeating. In an asp file, I'd probably use:

Do Until rsRecordSetName.EOF

But I'm blessed if I can figure it out in Flash. I've looked all over the place before casting myself on your collective mercies here!

Thanks for the reply and thanks for any help you might offer.
Old 05-29-2002, 11:19 PM   #4
tg
done

ya, flash doesn't know how often to do this unless you tell it how many records are in the recordset (via an asp call). then stick your loadVariables() action inside a for loop.

or probably easier for you and faster to process would be to have asp just run them all and output the entire string for you
want inside your do until eof loop.
response.write("&strQuiz"+ recordNbr +"="<a href='" + rs("QuizType")+"?QuizID=" + rs("QuizID"+ "'>" + rs("QuizName") + "</a>")

that way when the asp page is called by flash, flash will have a list of variables:
strQuiz0=...
strQuiz1=...
strQuiz2=...

and so forth, no need for any more calls to the server.

does that make since?
Old 05-29-2002, 11:32 PM   #5
Alice

Sounds to me like it'll work! I'll give it a try and post back here so others can see. Thanks much!
Old 05-30-2002, 12:22 AM   #6
tg
done

look forward to seein it.
Old 05-30-2002, 07:51 PM   #7
Alice

Smile

You're a genious, TG! What you gave me worked with a couple of minor tweeks. This is what actually does it:

<%
Do Until rsQuiz.EOF
recordNbr = recordNbr + 1
%>
<%
response.write("&strQuiz" & recordNbr & "=" & "<a href='" & rsQuiz("QuizType") & "?QuizID=" & rsQuiz("QuizID") & "'>" & rsQuiz("QuizName") & "</a>" & "<br><br>")
%>
<%
rsQuiz.MoveNext
loop
%>

This gives me output for three different screens in Flash, with three different difficulty levels of quizzes. Don't have it moved into the actual application with graphics yet, but it works just fine! Thanks again!
Old 05-30-2002, 08:26 PM   #8
tg
done

glad to hear it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: