Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 04-18-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
nadafinga

Cool First Flash/AS Sites....

First off, just want to thank all involved with this site, been lurking for a while and learning as I go, and this site has been a great resource....

So I've been working in flash/AS for a few months now, and I've created my first two sites, (yes, two at a time baby... well actually I was waiting on content for one so I started another....) Let me know what you think, how they run on your machine, or any other critique you may have.... and you don't have to put a disclaimer before any negative comments, I'm thick-skinned and have plenty of experience working in creative mediums, so I'm quite used to it, and would rather get an honest opinion....

my portfolio:
www.kevinmanus.com

band website
www.kevinmanus.com/projects/etheory_web.html

for the band web site, the AS was about 50% my coding and 50% retooled code from scripts and forums on this site.... my personal site, which I started after the band site, I am down to using only two scripts that had to be retooled, the scrollbar easing and the .php file for the contact form.... hopefully that ratio will continue to increase in my favor......

Last edited by nadafinga; 04-19-2007 at 05:54 PM. Reason: after rereading my post, i realized i did a lot more of the AS work than I previously gave myself credit for, & URL changed
nadafinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:45 AM   #2
Cota
Super Moderator

For your portfolio, your navigation needs to be more obvious. For the band site, its alittle bland...

cota - www.chadworkman.com | http://shavedplatypus.com
occupation: designer | flash developer | server-side developer (php, asp, mssql, mysql)
Cota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:49 PM   #3
nadafinga

thanks Cota, I've heard the same critique of my portfolio from a few folks, the navigation needs to be more obvious... Now I just need to figure out how to do that...(i'm thinking something that indicates the left blocks are links, and automatically loading an example for each section)

I really don't know what to do about the blandness of the band website, except that I am trying to learn how to format dynamic text (but unfortunatly having no luck) I would just use static text, but the band needs to be able to update it easily.... I need to read up on some tutorials for using css on dynamic text or something.....
Old 04-23-2007, 08:17 PM   #4
Cota
Super Moderator

the trick to dynamic text is to embed the fonts. As far as loading data, LoadVars().

occupation: designer | flash developer | server-side developer (php, asp, mssql, mysql)
Old 04-23-2007, 09:17 PM   #5
nadafinga

yah, the font I have in there now is embedded, and I embedded a bold font and an italic font as well, got the italic to work, not the bold, I guess where I'm confused is how I should go about:

a. embedding the different font styles (right now I'm using dummy text boxes off of the stage with the fonts embedded)

b. once I've embedded these dummy text boxes, calling on those actual fonts in my .txt file that gets dynamically loaded.

my problem is I can embed them, but I don't know how to apply them (or call on them, if you will) to individual sections in the .txt file (which uses simple HTML).

I've looked at a few forum posts, but I haven't been able to get my head around it just yet......
Old 04-23-2007, 11:15 PM   #6
Cota
Super Moderator

you lost me, you have font names in the text file that you want to load?

Old 04-24-2007, 02:02 AM   #7
nadafinga

I'll try to be a bit clearer and thanks for trying....

I would like to display 2 different fonts in my text box. One that is a 14pt and Bold for my headings, and one that is 10 pt and not bold for the content.

My text is dynamically loaded using this script....

ActionScript Code:
myVars = new LoadVars(); myVars.onLoad = function(){     newstext.htmlText=this.newscontent; }; myVars.load("newscontent.txt");
Old 04-25-2007, 11:50 AM   #8
cristi_tulcea

don't think you can do this, maybe if the text field is let to use system device fonts, and from your html code you say what font to use with: <font ....

anyway, you have other serious problems, graphics tend to 0, usability the same, too slow in animations, video is using a default theme, video to small, nothing is arranged in this site, ... do you want me to continue?
cristi_tulcea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:20 PM   #9
nadafinga

Quote:
anyway, you have other serious problems, graphics tend to 0, usability the same, too slow in animations, video is using a default theme, video to small, nothing is arranged in this site, ... do you want me to continue?
please do, although I dont know what "graphics tend to 0" means, and I'm not sure which of the sites you are referring to....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: