Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press

Go Back   ActionScript.org Forums > ActionScript Forums Group > ActionScript 2.0

Old 05-10-2007, 07:45 PM   #1
Arodicus

Default Useful: Track Mouse Position Outside of Flash Control

Track Mouse Position Outside of Flash
or Detect if Mouse is Not Over Flash
with ActionScript 2 ONLY.

I've noticed quite a few folks who want to track the position of the mouse outside of Flash's stage, or at least want to know if the mouse has left the stage area. Adobe says that it can't be done, at least with a 100% pure Flash solution, since Flash does not get mouse events outside of its focus.

Good news! It CAN be done, so long as the Flash appears in a browser that supports JavaScript, and you don't even need to add any JavaScript code to the page! We'll use ExternalInterface to do everything.

Here's proof! (IE Only, see below for other browsers)

And here's how to do it:

Code:
// Assumes you have a button called "testBtn" and a dynamic field called "testField"

import flash.external.ExternalInterface;

testBtn.onRelease = function() {
	var flashObjectName:String = "MySwf";
	var methodName:String = "ReportMouseLoc";
	var instance:Object = null;
	var method:Function = ExternalMouseLoc;
	var wasSuccessful:Boolean = ExternalInterface.addCallback(methodName, instance, method);
	function ExternalMouseLoc(MouseX, MouseY) {
		testField.text = MouseX+":"+MouseY;
	}
	var nullCall = ExternalInterface.call("function(){document.onmousemove = function(){var e = arguments[0] || event;window['"+flashObjectName+"'].ReportMouseLoc(e.clientX,e.clientY )}}");
};
What I'm doing here is packing an anonymous function into the ExternalInterface.call() method, which is an undocumented feature. This function, in turn, contains a subfunction that contains a callback reference to an ActionScript function. The callback subfunction is force-fed into the page's Event Manager, where it will persist until you leave the page.

Here's the double-packed JS code, broken out for legibility:

Code:
function(){
	document.onmousemove = function(){
		var e = arguments[0] || event;
		window['mySWF'].ReportMouseLoc(e.clientX,e.clientY )
	}
}
  1. This snippet only works for IE. If there's enough interest I'll post a Netscape/Firefox version. It's easy; I'm just lazy.
  2. Remember to set "AllowScriptAccess" to "always" for the OBJECT/EMBED tag of your swf if you are trying this without a web server.
  3. The var flashObjectName in the example above should be set to the ID of the SWF as it appears in the OBJECT/EMBED.

If anybody knows how to make the swf aware of the OBJ/EMB ID that it's known as, please let me know.

Enjoy!
Arodicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:03 PM   #2
Morg
1st party software!

This is really nifty!! Nicely done.
Any chance you might have done the FireFox one?
Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:14 PM   #3
inhan
it's all about patience

Works also in Safari. Good work.
www.aliinhan.com
inhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:00 AM   #4
Arodicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morg View Post
This is really nifty!! Nicely done.
Any chance you might have done the FireFox one?

I'm no firefox whiz - I only started using it about a week ago... this code SHOULD work, but doesn't:

Code:
function()
{
	document.onmousemove = function()
	{
		var e = arguments[0] || event;
		document.getElementById('BrowserMouse').ReportMouseLoc(e.pageX,e.pageY )
	}
}
Part of the trick is to use e.pageX and pageY instead of IE's clientX and clientY. There's a way to get one script to work on all browsers posted here The code is below. Again, you have to flatten it (no returns) and wrap it into an unnamed function for Firefox to understand it. Sorry, but I'm exhausted, so I leave it to others to integrate the client-vs-page code!

Code:
document.onmousemove = mouseMove;

function mouseMove(ev){
	ev           = ev || window.event;
	var mousePos = mouseCoords(ev);
}

function mouseCoords(ev){
	if(ev.pageX || ev.pageY){
		return {x:ev.pageX, y:ev.pageY};
	}
	return {
		x:ev.clientX + document.body.scrollLeft - document.body.clientLeft,
		y:ev.clientY + document.body.scrollTop  - document.body.clientTop
	};
}
The real problem is you must use getElementByID to target the object, but getElementByID is not working for some reason, and I've got no clue why. If there are any Foxies out there who know what I'm doing wrong, help, please!
Old 09-07-2007, 10:18 PM   #5
idyllhands

Anyone find a working solution for Firefox?
idyllhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
xxneon
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to xxneon Send a message via AIM to xxneon Send a message via MSN to xxneon Send a message via Skype™ to xxneon

I got it to work in FF using this call line for the ExternalInterface.call()..

ActionScript Code:
var nullCall = ExternalInterface.call("function(){document.onmousemove = function(){var e = arguments[0] || event;window.document['"+flashObjectName+"'].ReportMouseLoc(e.clientX,e.clientY )}}");

the only thing i noticed that is funny though is it only updates when the mouse is outside the swf stage.. but at least you can detect when its outside the stage with ff now.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:31 PM   #7
Arodicus

Yeah, I noticed that, too. I've actually got the thing working universally on all the major browsers (FF, IE, Safari, Opera) but it's a) AS3, not AS2 (but could be downgraded) and b) huge.

There were some weird idiosyncrasies to overcome, but I also managed to factor in the swfs positon on the webpage, and return results in flash-local and webpage-local coordinates.

I'll post it as an article if I ever get the time.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:49 PM   #8
asf8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arodicus View Post
Yeah, I noticed that, too. I've actually got the thing working universally on all the major browsers (FF, IE, Safari, Opera) but it's a) AS3, not AS2 (but could be downgraded) and b) huge.

There were some weird idiosyncrasies to overcome, but I also managed to factor in the swfs positon on the webpage, and return results in flash-local and webpage-local coordinates.

I'll post it as an article if I ever get the time.
Find the time Arodicus Share buddy. (ha, ha)
asf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:39 PM   #9
carlpepper

Default Can't get this to work...

Hi! What i need to accomplish is to start a fuse action only when the mouse is moved, anywhere in the window and not only over the flash movie. if you leave the mouse, it should start another fuse action after a couple of seconds.

could somebody please help me with an example, where do i put the code you posted? is one part to be put in the HTML document and one in the actionscript or how does it work? i use the swfobject-script by the way.

thanks a lot guys
carlpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:26 PM   #10
Arodicus

Lightbulb

I'll if I can whip something together that does this. I've still got the base problem of calculating the offset of the Player within the browser window, as there's a gazillion factors that come into play, but perhaps if I post the basics greater minds may figure out the rest.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: