Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press

Go Back   ActionScript.org Forums > ActionScript Forums Group > ActionScript 2.0

Old 06-14-2007, 12:29 AM   #1
PibbTibbs

Default help laying out first day of the month. Trying to build an event calendar

Hi

I wanted to try and build an event calendar. I have the calendar portion working fine except i cannot wrap my head around the right way to both determine the first day of the month for any given month and subsequently shifting the first day movie clip to the correct position under the correct day title.

here is the actionscript i have so far;
ActionScript Code:
stop (); Stage.showMenu = false; // setup needed date variables currentDate = new Date(); currentYear = currentDate.getFullYear(); currentMonth = currentDate.getMonth(); currentDay = currentDate.getDate(); currentDayNum = currentDate.getDay(); // define some arrays to handle date information monthName = new Array(); numDays = new Array(); dayName = new Array(); // handle February on a Leap Year if (currentMonth == 1){     if ((currentYear%4) == 0){         numDays[1] = 29;       } else {         numDays[1] = 28       } }; // define how many days in each month numDays[0] = 31; // February handled by above if statement numDays[2] = 31; numDays[3] = 30; numDays[4] = 31; numDays[5] = 30; numDays[6] = 31; numDays[7] = 31; numDays[8] = 30; numDays[9] = 31; numDays[10] = 30; numDays[11] = 31; // define names of the month monthName[0] = "JANUARY"; monthName[1] = "FEBRUARY"; monthName[2] = "MARCH"; monthName[3] = "APRIL"; monthName[4] = "MAY"; monthName[5] = "JUNE"; monthName[6] = "JULY"; monthName[7] = "AUGUST"; monthName[8] = "SEPTEMBER"; monthName[9] = "OCTOBER"; monthName[10]= "NOVEMBER"; monthName[11]= "DEVEMBER"; // define the names of each day dayName[0] = "SUN"; dayName[1] = "MON"; dayName[2] = "TUE"; dayName[3] = "WED"; dayName[4] = "THU"; dayName[5] = "FRI"; dayName[6] = "SAT"; // set some positioning parameters yStartPos = 0; xStartPos = 515; xSpacing = 51.5; ySpacing = 83; cCount = 0; // counts number of columns rCount = 0; // counts number of rows dCount = 0; // counts number of days //build the months worth of days this.onEnterFrame = function() {     if (dCount < numDays[currentMonth]) {         var dayClip = dayHolder.attachMovie ("dayBox", "dayBox" + dCount, dCount);         dayTween = new mx.transitions.Tween(dayClip, "_alpha", mx.transitions.easing.Strong.easeOut, 0, 100, 2.5, true);         dayTweenX = new mx.transitions.Tween(dayClip, "_width", mx.transitions.easing.Regular.easeOut, 0, 100.2, 1, true);         dayTweenY = new mx.transitions.Tween(dayClip, "_height", mx.transitions.easing.Regular.easeOut, 0, 81, 1, true);         dayClip.dayText.text = dCount+1;         if (cCount > 1 && (cCount%7)==0){             cCount = 0;             rCount++;         }         if (dCount == 0) {             dayClip._x = xStartPos;             cCount = 6; // needs to eventually be changed with first day of the month variable             dCount++;                     } else {             dayClip._x = cCount++ * xSpacing;             dayClip._y = rCount * ySpacing;             cCount++;             dCount++;         }         } else {         delete this.onEnterFrame;         } };

I hard set the _x starting position that works for the month of June but i would need to replace that with another variable once i figure out how to automatically determine the 1st day of any month and use a corresponding array to set the _x positions for any of the 7 possible starting days.

does anyone have some suggestions?
PibbTibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:53 AM   #2
atomic
Banned by AS.org Staff

http://www.actionscript.org/forums/s...&postcount=191
atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:19 AM   #3
PibbTibbs

these are fantastic, thanks. I was kind of hoping to get through as much as possible on my own, without relying too much on other peoples work. I got hung up on this seemingly simple issue's and started to go bonkers.

But now that i have seen these i may find it hard to resist the temptation to use one of them.
PibbTibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:32 AM   #4
atomic
Banned by AS.org Staff

There's more...

http://www.actionscript.org/forums/s...&postcount=192

And in case you want to go through the 22 pages thread...

http://www.actionscript.org/forums/s....php3?t=110747
atomic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: