Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 07-11-2007, 01:13 AM   #1
tagdigital

Default remove movie clip

I have a class that represents a symbol in the library. Inside the class I set a timer to create a fade effect. I create the instance from main and add it to a layer, like this. fadeLayer.addChild(fadeSymbol);
Everything works fine. What I want to do is have the symbol remove itself after it is finished fading. My problem is I can't figure out how to remove it from inside the class. something like this....?? this.parent.removeChild(this). I know that's a mess but it shows what I want to do. Also I want to delete it so there are not multiple invisible instances of this object around. So after I remove it from its parent I want to delete it.

Thanks.
tagdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:53 AM   #2
Flash Gordon
rather be programming

a stripped down class code would really help out, but remember the DisplayObject's parent is always the DisplaysObjectConainer. therefore _target.parent.removeChild(_target); should do the trick.

But lets see some simple sample code.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:55 AM   #3
Mazoonist
Site Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Mazoonist

Hey, tagdigital,

I'm just getting the hang of AS3 myself. Well, somewhat. So this was a fun little exercise. I just made a simple circle movie clip and associated it with a class using Linkage in the library.

The code in the main fla:
ActionScript Code:
var myBall:SelfDelete = new SelfDelete(); myBall.x = 100; myBall.y = 100; addChild(myBall);
The code in SelfDelete.as:
ActionScript Code:
package {     import flash.events.TimerEvent;     import flash.utils.Timer;     import flash.display.MovieClip;     public class SelfDelete extends MovieClip     {         private var rt:Timer;         public function SelfDelete()         {             rt = new Timer(100, 50);             rt.addEventListener(TimerEvent.TIMER, fadeMe);             rt.addEventListener(TimerEvent.TIMER_COMPLETE, deleteMe);             rt.start();         }         private function deleteMe(event:TimerEvent)         {             parent.removeChild(this);             delete this;         }         private function fadeMe(event:TimerEvent):void         {             this.alpha -= 0.01;         }     } }
Attached Files
File Type: zip as3_self_deleting_class.zip (5.4 KB, 311 views)
Mazoonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:05 AM   #4
Mazoonist
Site Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Mazoonist

I should say that I'm a real newb at programming classes. Just so's you don't think I'm trying to come off as some kind of expert. I'm beginning to understand the language of classes--I have yet to really understand any techniques or strategies. When I jump in and help someone out it's so that I can help myself learn, too. Sometimes it even backfires! (but hopefully I don't wind up annoying people). Just thought I'd clarify that.
Mazoonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:10 AM   #5
Flash Gordon
rather be programming

no worries, bro. and your code looks good
Old 07-11-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
dr_zeus
Feathers

This line shouldn't be needed. In fact, a delete call on "this" probably won't work anyway.

ActionScript Code:
delete this;

For the record, I recommend having SelfDelete send out an event when it is finished. Then your code in the main FLA where it was created can remove it from the display list and set its reference to null.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: