Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 09-25-2007, 12:10 PM   #1
dgstarr

Default TypeError: Error #2007: Parameter listener must be non-null.

I am new to ActionScript and have decided that if I am going to learn it, I am going to learn the latest version. I have created an EventListener that calls a function - simple enough. However, I need to pass a value to the function and whenever I do that, I get the following error:

TypeError: Error #2007: Parameter listener must be non-null.
at flash.events::EventDispatcher/addEventListener()
at site_fla::MainTimeline/site_fla::frame1()

If I trace the value, it exists and is getting passed so I'm not sure what this error means. All I know is that when I remove the value and pass nothing, the error goes away.

Somebody please help me! I've got a client breathing down my neck for a site that, at the moment, I cannot complete!!!
dgstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:14 PM   #2
Tiemen Glastra

Send a message via Skype™ to Tiemen Glastra

It would help a great deal if you post the code itself, so people can easily identify what's wrong. My guess is, judging by the error code, that you are passing a parameter as listener function that is not actually a function. Like

ActionScript Code:
// here, clickHandler() should be just clickHandler, or else you get  the same error... the handler does not return any value. my_btn.addEventListener( MouseEvent.MOUSE_DOWN, clickHandler() ); var clickHandler: Function = function( event: MouseEvent ): void {     trace( 'Click event received from', event.currentTarget ); }

Hope that helps...
Tiemen Glastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
flashkiddy

Default same error...

I also get the same error.... :

TypeError: Error #2007: Parameter type must be non-null.
at pages::MyProfile/initListeners()
at pages::MyProfile()

here is my code

ActionScript Code:
package business.types {     import flash.events.Event;          /**      * @author Erik      */          public class ServerConnectionEvent extends Event     {                 public static const AUTHENTICATION_BY_ACCOUNT_COMPLETE : String = "authentication_by_account_complete";         public static const AUTHENTICATION_BY_ACCOUNT_FAIL : String = "authentication_by_account_fail";         public static const AUTHENTICATION_BY_COOKIE_COMPLETE : String = "authentication_by_cookie_complete";         public static const AUTHENTICATION_BY_COOKIE_FAIL : String = "authentication_by_cookie_fail";         public static const LOGOUT_COMPLETE : String = "logout_complete";         public static const LOGOUT_FAIL : String = "logout_fail";         public static const REGISTRATION_COMPLETE : String = "registration_complete";         public static const REGISTRATION_FAIL : String = "registration_fail";         public static const PROFILE_RETRIEVE_COMPLETE : String = "profile_retrieve_complete";         public static const PROFILE_RETRIEVE_FAIL : String = "profile_retrieve_fail";         public var isSuccess : Boolean;         public var data : Object;         public function ServerConnectionEvent ( type : String, isSuccess : Boolean = true, data : Object = null )         {             super( type );                         this.isSuccess = isSuccess;             this.data = data;         }     } }

This is the other class, which is using this custom Event:

ActionScript Code:
private function onGetProfileComplete ( lObj : Object ) : void {     trace( "business.ServerConnection.onGetProfileComplete(" + [ lObj ] + ")" );     dispatchEvent( new ServerConnectionEvent( ServerConnectionEvent.PROFILE_RETRIEVE_COMPLETE, true , lObj ) ); }

And this is the method where the error is thrown:

ActionScript Code:
private function initListeners () : void {     trace( "pages.MyProfile.initListeners(" + [] + ")" );     ServerConnection.getInstance( ).addEventListener( ServerConnectionEvent.PROFILE_RETRIEVE_COMPLETE , onProfileDownloadComplete );     ServerConnection.getInstance( ).addEventListener( ServerConnectionEvent.PROFILE_RETRIEVE_FAIL , onProfileDownloadFail ); } private function onProfileDownloadComplete ( pEvt : ServerConnectionEvent ) : void {     trace( "pages.MyProfile.onProfileDownloadComplete(" + [ pEvt ] + ")" );     var lData : Object = pEvt.data; }         private function onProfileDownloadFail ( pEvt : ServerConnectionEvent ) : void {     trace( "pages.MyProfile.onProfileDownloadFail(" + [] + ")" ); }

Last edited by flashkiddy; 04-14-2008 at 08:40 AM.
flashkiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:49 AM   #4
flashkiddy

Default Solved

OK, i suck , sorry for posting this, but i solved the problem already.

SOLUTION:
I am using a RUNTIME SHARED LIBRARY (RSL) and all my FLA files use the same 'business' class. Since the FLA file with all the RSL items hadn't been updated, i guess there was a conflict in the Flash player memory about which version of the 'business' class to use.

After recompiling all FLA files, everything is working just fine.

I can't wait to start programming a CS3 FLA-batch-publisher now.....
flashkiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
tomcoombs

Default I had a different problem/solution

I got this

Error #2007: Parameter listener must be non-null

and I discovered my problem was that I'd put brackets after my function name ...

myTween.addEventListener(TweenEvent.MOTION_FINISH, whenTweenEnds());

should have been

myTween.addEventListener(TweenEvent.MOTION_FINISH, whenTweenEnds);
tomcoombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:40 PM   #6
MSFX
Interactive Development

when you pass a function only pass its name, not including the brackets!
Old 02-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
amjo

ok, i do know that it has been a long time this problem is solved, however, i have the following similar error:

Code:
TypeError: Error #2007: Parameter type must be non-null.
    at mx.resources::ResourceManagerImpl$iinit()
    at mx.resources::ResourceManager$/getInstance()
    at mx.managers::SystemManager/::initialize()
    at mx.managers::SystemManager/::initHandler()
now, i know we're discussing about the same error, however due to endless researching n going around in circles, it turns out that Error #2007 has tons of forms....

i would paste my code here, but let's face it, i really don't know which part of the code to paste (EventDispatcher's code? ResourceManagerImp's code?... and so on)...

please, i would love that someone would reply and help out... even if you don't have a solution, i'd be greatful if i got some directions to certain sites so that i'd take the research from there!...

thank you,
amjo
amjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: