Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press

Go Back   ActionScript.org Forums > Flash General Questions > Flash 8 General Questions

Old 12-06-2007, 02:55 PM   #1
thanigaiarasu

Arrow How can i record my voice in flash

How can i record my voice through headphone?

And my voice should be saved as mp3 or wav , how?
thanigaiarasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
docaudio
Oh No!! Mr.Subwoofer!

I think it would be a lot of work, because Flash is designed for deployment - the world in general being able to see it and interact. Not everyone has a mirophone setup - less people have recording abilities, etc. I think it could be possible, but you would have to get inside either Windows or recording software with a toolkit and develop functions to tie to Flash. I'd explore Podcasting software - might have some hacks there.
-Bill
docaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:54 PM   #3
Noct
Toys in the Attic...

Well, there is a Microphone class in Actionscript, but that only handles taking the audio in. Saving that audio as a mp3 or wav would require something on the server side to rebuild the data into one of those formats.

Flash Media Server can record audio, but only to flv I believe.

http://www.kirupa.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2246753
Old 12-15-2007, 02:15 PM   #4
valRearden

Are you trying to build a little .swf where users can dynamically record themselves and hear it played back? That would be interesting to see.

If you're just looking to get your recorded voice into a movie or game or some such, I'd recommend using a simple audio mixer to record and edit your voice, then loading that file into your library as a sound asset. Audacity, is a pretty nice, Open Source freeware app that's always worked for me.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

One thing that can be really annoying about recording yourself is that, unless your computer has a built in mic (which may or may not be decent quality), you might also need a preamp to connect your mic to the computer. I found that out the hard way when I couldn't hear any of my recordings. Cheap ones go for $20-30, decent ones go a bit higher.

As to your question about file type, my understanding is that you can put any file type you want INTO flash (.wav, .wmp, etc). Flash will play them as is during development, no problem. When you publish the project, it converts all sounds to .mp3 to save its player some confusion. The only thing to keep an eye on are your publishing settings (File-->Publish Settings). Under the Flash tab, there are options to control image and sound quality. Click on 'Set' to change the sound quality. If you find you're getting really huge .swf file sizes, try dropping the sound quality several notches.
valRearden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:07 PM   #5
Lucidity

I use audacity as well for all my recordings. If I need to go into the sound file to edit it though, I usually use adobe audition.
Lucidity is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: