Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press

Go Back   ActionScript.org Forums > General > Best Practices

Old 01-11-2008, 12:37 AM   #31
Cota
Super Moderator

It will be Michael's choice to end the thread or not. If you feel he's not making a point you can understand, you can simply stop reading it.

This is the problem when someone tries to express themselves, those who cant understand try to dismiss their thoughts as "wrong" or "incomprehensible".

Its simple, his meanings may not be apparent, but allow it to grow and progress before you start jumping on him.

cota - www.chadworkman.com | http://shavedplatypus.com
occupation: designer | flash developer | server-side developer (php, asp, mssql, mysql)
Cota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:43 AM   #32
atomic
Banned by AS.org Staff

My! Have you mellowed?
atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:47 AM   #33
Cota
Super Moderator

I'm simply saying, allow him to try and work through his thought. It is related to Flash, so I dont see why people cant back off, try to understand, or even help him realize what he's getting it.

Seems some cant exist outside anything thought process they were taught when it comes to development. Free thinking got us where we are today, why stop it now?

occupation: designer | flash developer | server-side developer (php, asp, mssql, mysql)
Old 01-11-2008, 01:03 AM   #34
atomic
Banned by AS.org Staff

You have!

You were never that lenient towards me...

Have a nice evening!
atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:14 AM   #35
Cota
Super Moderator

Thats reserved for another conversation.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:08 PM   #36
newblack
dondeEstanMisPantalones?

Send a message via AIM to newblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cota View Post
This is the problem when someone tries to express themselves, those who cant understand try to dismiss their thoughts as "wrong" or "incomprehensible".
I did NOT label, much less dismiss, michael's thoughts as incomprehensible. The notion that you'd condemn me and jsebrech (whom I find to be the single most insightful contributor to AS[org]) to an inability to understand is offensive to say the least. The nature of a forum is post/reply, post/reply. I certainly wasn't complaining about Michael or what he has/had to say, so please do not lump me into peptobismol's category by association simply because I've contributed to this thread.

@Michael-->
I responded to your post. I took it to be the "subject line" of your point- and I think that it was... my responding to that should not detract from any point you have to make.
newblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:54 AM   #37
Cota
Super Moderator

@newblack - If I was referring to you or jsebrech, I would have pointed you two out directly. I was speaking in very general terms.

If you want to continue our little debate, we'll have to go private. This is Michael's thread, not ours.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:38 AM   #38
bowljoman

I think OOP is programmer oriented. As a beginner, it does feel good , while reading someone's code in an API that is unfamiliar, to be made aware of decisions, or even getting brief comments in the code stating Things like.
"//We could create an object to manage all the such and such, but data X is already on the stack in a parameter var.."

I learned hard in c++ direct show code, and its full of "we want this media type..." and "we don't want the thread to ..." "our".

Programming reminds me of being a little kid, and using the garden hose to make an imaginary river in the back yard dirt, digging a path for the water flow.

Whats important from a scupltor's point of view(me as a sculptor) is form and function. When decisions are made it is in regards to the perfect blend of these elements.

In the end though, what my older wiser brother has always told me, "More often, whats important is to make a decision, and move on".
bowljoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:10 AM   #39
Flash Gordon
rather be programming

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowljoman View Post
In the end though, what my older wiser brother has always told me, "More often, whats important is to make a decision, and move on".
I like that

nice post.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #40
Cota
Super Moderator

bowljoman, I believe you may be the first person to read this thread, and actually get what Michael was trying to say.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: