Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press

Go Back   ActionScript.org Forums > ActionScript Forums Group > ActionScript 3.0

Old 02-01-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
visuale

Default stop(); doesn't work

Hey, I just got Flash CS3. I'm trying to get my main timeline to stop in the begining, on button press to play and at the end stop again. In AS2, you would just put stop(); on the first keyframe and stop(); on the last key frame and program your buttons accordingly. The stop(); does not work!!!! It's driving me crazy. What am I missing? I've gone through the tutorials in Flash and they don't work either. Help!

Also, if you have MovieClip that contains an animation and you don't want the movie clip to be on a continuous loop how do you stop it from playing. In AS2, I would put a stop(); on the last keyframe of the movieclip's animation. This also does not work in AS3. Any help would be great!

Thanks!
visuale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
visuale

Default stop(); doesn't work in CS3 :(

Hey, I just got Flash CS3. I'm trying to get my main timeline to stop in the begining, on button press to play and at the end stop again. In AS2, you would just put stop(); on the first keyframe and stop(); on the last key frame and program your buttons accordingly. The stop(); does not work!!!! It's driving me crazy. What am I missing? I've gone through the tutorials in Flash and they don't work either. Help!

Also, if you have MovieClip that contains an animation and you don't want the movie clip to be on a continuous loop how do you stop it from playing. In AS2, I would put a stop(); on the last keyframe of the movieclip's animation. This also does not work in AS3. Any help would be great!

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #3
Mazoonist
Site Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Mazoonist

You must be doing something wrong, because those things do work in Flash CS3. I'm attaching a (very!) simple example. Hope it helps.
Attached Files
File Type: zip stop_command.zip (5.1 KB, 17788 views)
Old 02-01-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
visuale

It doesn't work, it just flashes the text from frame 1 to 2. I'm going to unlnstall and reinstall. Something is not right. I am an AS2 pro and this stuff should work. Maybe I got a bunk copy of CS3! Thank for your help anyway.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:57 PM   #5
Rocketboy

Err, as far as I know as3 does not support frame scripts, except for on the very first frame of the root timeline of you fla. So, you would have to do this dynamically by creating an onEnterFrame listener, and then checking to see if you are on the final frame, and stopping the animation if you are.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:23 PM   #6
jaga

That's not true Rocketboy, you can still put code in frames where ever you want. Its not the best practice, and will have errors with calling things correctly sometimes, but its completely legitimate
jaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
Rocketboy

Oh, I guess I was thinking about scripts on buttons and movieclips. Those are no longer supported, right?
Old 08-12-2008, 09:22 PM   #8
wessidemd

Check to make sure that you didn't set that layer to invisible. Your code will NOT run if the layer is invisible.

Stupid, yes.
Useless, yes.
Annoying, yes.

Why does the visibility of the layer even matter? I don't know....
wessidemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:37 PM   #9
robh2255

I'm having the same problem as visuale. The stop() won't work in frame 1 (or any other frame for that matter) except for the last frame. Keep in mind that this only occurs when I'm playing my movie within Flash (Control Menu > Play). If I choose the Test Movie option, it works. But I should be able to play this within Flash too. Furthermore, I copied the same code into a new AS2 file and it works fine. So something is wrong with AS3 or it requires additional code. I've tried everyone else's ideas as well, but nothing works. Any more ideas? Thanks in advance for any help!
robh2255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:39 AM   #10
marspark

Quote:
Originally Posted by robh2255 View Post
I'm having the same problem as visuale. The stop() won't work in frame 1 (or any other frame for that matter) except for the last frame. Keep in mind that this only occurs when I'm playing my movie within Flash (Control Menu > Play). If I choose the Test Movie option, it works. But I should be able to play this within Flash too. Furthermore, I copied the same code into a new AS2 file and it works fine. So something is wrong with AS3 or it requires additional code. I've tried everyone else's ideas as well, but nothing works. Any more ideas? Thanks in advance for any help!
I remember it's suppose to work that way
marspark is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: