Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press

Go Back   ActionScript.org Forums > Extensions and Plugins > Components

Old 04-01-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
sebass

Red face FLVPlayback: playback performance while preloading multiple flv's

Greetings all.

I'm experiencing playback performance problems while loading multiple flv's in the background..

Here's what I'm doing:

I'm loading 30 flv files (progressive download) into one single FLVPlayback component using the ready event to trigger each next load and using the activeVideoPlayerIndex to distinguish each videolayer (pretty straighforward).. Works really well, actually.

The problem is.. After a couple of preloads (about six) I want to start playing the flv on videolevel 0 (activeVideoPlayerIndex = 0 and visibleVideoPlayerIndex = 0) to prevent the user from waiting too long.. The rest of the flv's continue loading in the background, but during this process the playback of the first flv is choppy and bumpy..

Has anyone had this same experience, and if so, have you got any solutions or tips??

Thanks in advance
Sebass
sebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
atomic
Banned by AS.org Staff

Might not be the reason in your case, but I did have a similar issue a while back...
Turns out that sound starting on the first frame of the video was the culprit.
After adding a half second of silence on the beginning of the videos (before encoding them..) solved the problem.
atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
sebass

Would that be half a second of silence in all 30 of them or just the videos I want to play while downloading the remains?

thanks for your reply
Sebass
Old 04-02-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
atomic
Banned by AS.org Staff

Well, you can try it on 1 or a few of the videos first, to see if it does solve the problem, then advise...
Old 04-09-2008, 08:14 AM   #5
sebass

Seems like your suggestion does solve one or two things.. Performance has improved. We've just added half a second of nothingness (no audio, no video) to the first playing flv.. Actually, it looks like in general flv plays a lot smoother doing that. Whether you're downloading in the background or not..
We've also cut back the download size by half (by reducing the frame and bitrate). This obviously also helps..

grtz.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:13 AM   #6
atomic
Banned by AS.org Staff

Grrrrrrreat!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: