Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 05-12-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
lewis_evans

Default Multiple vector forces acting on a forward moving object

LO All,

I have been trying to create a platform game using vector calculations for the motion / friction /gravity / bounce etc. All is good - I have a ball bouncing merrily along off my vector floor - until the ball should come to a standstill on the floor due to the friction and lack of bounciness. then the ball just jitters on the surface when I want it to come to a standstill. What I actually want is for the ball not to bounce but stick to the surface. I think it's the gravity vector being added each time making it do this.

I know I'm being a bit vague but has anyone ever used vectors for this kind of game and if so do you have any ideas on how I can get my ball to come to rest? Do I have to hack it?

Thanks in advance

Lewis
lewis_evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
ASWC
Super Moderator

that's one way to do it:
ActionScript Code:
var speed:Number = 40; var gravity:Number = 0.9; this.onEnterFrame = function(){     speed*=gravity;     trace(speed)     if(speed<0.01){         gravity=0;         } }
Old 05-12-2008, 03:30 PM   #3
lewis_evans

I'm using vectors for trajectory and gravity and adding them all together. I can't just get rid of gravity. I was needing something more solid.

Thanks anyways
lewis_evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
MonkeyBiscuits
King of the Monkeys

Use larger values for gravity and speed, then you can use Math.floor on your algorithm to which will reduce any annoyingly small decimals to a flat zero but give you enough scope for decent movement
MonkeyBiscuits is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: