Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 05-31-2008, 07:01 AM   #1
a5c3ndant

Default Game Website

hi everyone, i am creating a free multiplayer online game for everyone to play. i will create a website so the game can be playable in a browser window. As computing is not my field, i have to learn on my own from the start, like wat i did with ActionScript. Now the flash part is almost complete and i am going to do the server site programming, so i have to learn another new language. Based on the features of my game, i like to hear some advice from anyone who is familiar with such stuff, on which direction i should take or what do i need to know? (eg. javascript? JSP? ASP? PHP? SQL? XML? etc). Yes, i will be the one that does everything, so it's a one-man show

Features of my game:
On the website, there will be
1) A ladder/ranking system which shows the Top 100 players worldwide.
2) Create an account (maybe with email verification) and login system
3) A button PLAY GAME which will pop up the game in a new browser window
4) My game is 1v1 turn-based strategy battle where u move units to fight your opponent units on your turn, and will switch to your opponent's turn
5) Before the start of your game, u are able to setup your formation inside flash and save it on the server so that when the game starts, it will load the formation u had saved previously. If not setup yet, it will use a default formation
6) There will be in-game lobby system in flash, with ability to chat with the other players. Server will randomly match u up with another player who has clicked READY, or u can have a private game with someone when u type in their username

I know i have to learn HTML, but what other languages do i need to know? Is there any language that can do all these stuff so that i only need to learn 1 thing? does the server i am using need to be a Socket Server?

Last edited by a5c3ndant; 05-31-2008 at 07:06 AM.
a5c3ndant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
beeblebrox
( O_o) aka finefin

1,2) PHP
3) JavaScript ?
4,6) PHP+ActionScript
5) ActionScript (formations -> LocalObjects)

good luck
beeblebrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:13 PM   #3
a5c3ndant

thank u very much for your advice, beeblebrox. i will make a post here to let u & everyone know when its up & ready

Last edited by a5c3ndant; 06-01-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #4
a5c3ndant

Anyone can reccomend me a book which covers the multiplayer online aspect of flash browser games, front end + back end? (for eg. a game of Chess connecting 2 different players on different PC via a game server)?
Old 06-03-2008, 12:58 PM   #5
retsoced

Anything by Gary Rosenzweig would be a good start. I've had a couple of his books and they are excellent - plus he's been at it quite a while.

He has a new one for AS3 too.
retsoced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:45 AM   #6
a5c3ndant

thanx... but i cant find any AS2 game book of his, only AS3 and AS1. anyone has read the book "Flash Professional 8 Game Development" by Glen Rhodes? does it cover multiplayer online flash browser games, front end + back end?

Last edited by a5c3ndant; 06-04-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:10 PM   #7
beeblebrox
( O_o) aka finefin

BTW -- nonoba.com offers a free multiplayer API
beeblebrox is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: