Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press

Go Back   ActionScript.org Forums > General > Gaming and Game Development

Old 07-14-2008, 05:32 AM   #1
gentrinity

Default [AS3] need to convert game to AS3

Hello everybody, I started this thread because I am in urgent need of someone that knows AS3. This project is due in 8 hours and I still have to get 2 XML apps running. I didnt leave things for last minute, its a combination of not knowing what I was getting into and having an already difficult deadline to begin with. I will explain what my situation is;

My client wants me to make a drawing application that can be exported to your HD or a Server. That is running lovely, however, the run lovely seperately. The game is in AS2(which is what I know) and the JPEG exporter is in AS3(which I dont know).

From what I read, there seems to be a cumbersome method to use LocalConnection or something to communicate between the 2 movies in different AS versions, however, I am not sure this is the way to go, I have never used LocalConnection so I dont know if spending time on it will reap the fruits of labor, Im in a huge hurry and I dont want to learn something that might end up not working.

So my only option is to convert my drawing application to AS3, this is proving rather difficult, 5 minutes in and I already have my first problem and the compiler is giving me errors.

What I would like is to exchange MSN or whatever contacts with someone here in these forums that has enough experience converting AS2 to AS3 to be a guide. I dont plan on making you do the work, I just need someone who can quickly provide answers as soon as I have a problem instead of having to scour the internet everytime I get stuck.

Please send me a PM, if you help me out, I will be endebted and can repay monetarilly or with coding services or whatever. Just please help me, im desperate.

Thank you very much for your time and I hope to hear from you soon.

Last edited by gentrinity; 07-14-2008 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Updated work
gentrinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:59 AM   #2
gentrinity

Update 3:52 AM
I just finished the migration, when I export, the debugger doesnt throw any errors, however, when I play around, nothing works as should and I get some errors. This was expected of course, but progress has been made. I have one question that maybe someone can answer for me real quick. I have declared a function that is to be used for an addEventListener, I seem to have to pass it the parameter "event:Event". I do, but then I use this function in other cases that are not addEventListeners, its asking for a parameter, what should I do?
Old 07-14-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
Flash Gordon
rather be programming

ActionScript Code:
protected function myFun(event:Event=null):void { }
Old 07-14-2008, 08:30 AM   #4
gentrinity

Thank you very much, if you have a link or you yourself could please explain what exactly is going on there, I would appreciate it.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:34 AM   #5
gentrinity

Update 4:28 AM

I am starting to work out some of the kinks and Im starting to get some functionality working. I need help with this one thing.

MouseEvent.MOUSE_MOVE does not seem to have the same functionality as in AS2, where it could basically animate and I could attach a mouse cursor, it seems that I need to use ENTER_FRAME. Does the MOUSE_MOVE require something im not adding because it isnt really animating, it just updates randomly it seems. Do I need something like updateAfterEvent? If so, how would I go about implementing it? Thanks again!!
Old 07-14-2008, 08:56 AM   #6
lordofduct

MOUSE_MOVE only fires when the mouse moves and is over the DisplayObject that the event is registered to.

If you want to know how to program, take a math class, take a lot of math classes!
lordofduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:59 AM   #7
gentrinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofduct View Post
MOUSE_MOVE only fires when the mouse moves and is over the DisplayObject that the event is registered to.

I see, thank you, so would I need ENTER_FRAME exclusively for this then?

Would you be kind enough to exchange MSN contacts or something, I could REALLY use some help, again, I would be in your debt and can work something out after I get this done.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:20 AM   #8
gentrinity

Update 6:20 AM
I fixed this problem...

apparently AS3 does the setMask as follows;

myMC.mask = myMC2;

I had it like this;

myMC.mask(myMC2);

AS3 couldnt explain it to me.

Last edited by gentrinity; 07-14-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:48 PM   #9
gentrinity

Update 6:20 AM

I managed to get the drawing functions to work. I can now draw on the canvas and as soon as I was able to do that I implimented the JPEG exporter and its working. So thats great, however, there are a lot of things that are still wrong so I would still appreciate some help, ill update in a little while explaining my latest needs.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:11 PM   #10
gentrinity

I could still really use someones help, if you can contact me via MSN, I would appreciate it inmensely.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: