Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press

Go Back   ActionScript.org Forums > Flex > Flex 2, 3 & 4

Old 09-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #1
haskinsj87

Default new to flex - question about custom components?

I want to create a simple "sticky note" type of component that I can dynamically add to my application to help me understand how things work in flex. I have experience in flash and am trying to move into flex.

In flash I would create a movie clip, add a background, and a dynamic text field. And in my actionscript i would add the movie clip, assign a name and access the text field thro the name:

myStickyNote.myTextField.text = "text here";

So I have a few questions about doing this in flex. I created a custom component from the canvas component, applied a background, and put in a text field:

Code:
<mx:Canvas>
    <mx:Text text="text here"/>
</mx:Canvas>
1) how would i dynamically access this components text field from my main application?

2) I added some simple actionscript to allow dragging of the component within my application. works fine, but when i click on the text to drag it, i get an error: Property startDrag not found on mx.core.UITextField and there is no default value.
so how would i get this to work?

If theres a better way of going about this please let me know. any good tutorials would be great. I bought the flex 3 bible, not proving to be too helpful here though. any help is appriciated
haskinsj87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:05 AM   #2
yogeshpuri
RIA Developer

Send a message via MSN to yogeshpuri Send a message via Yahoo to yogeshpuri Send a message via Skype™ to yogeshpuri

Hi

To use this component into your main application you need to import the component into your main MXML (Using import or using Namespace). Then using new you can create the instance of component under your script tag like..

var xComp:MyComponent = new MyComponent();

For your second problem instead of using Event.target in your on mouseclick or mousedown event use Event.currentTarget. That may solve the issue
yogeshpuri is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: