Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 11-04-2008, 01:09 AM   #1
sneakyimp

Send a message via AIM to sneakyimp
Default Proper way to use external CSS, embedded fonts in AS2?

I have a dynamic text field with an instance name of txtFilmNews. I am loading some external HTML and an external stylesheet. I am also embedding fonts (Orator, regular and bold) for this text field. Everything seems to load properly -- html and stylesheets both -- however, the text shifts a tiny bit when I mouseover the hyperlinks in my text field.

I'm wondering if this has something to do with how I've embedded my fonts. I created two new font objects in my library:
DynamicFont1 - Orator 12 pt with linkage ID of DynamicFont1, exported for actionscript in first frame.
DynamicFont1Bold - Orator 12 pt *bold* with linkage ID of DynamicFont1Bold, exported for actionscript in first frame.

The stylesheet is here, NOTE that I refer to 'Orator' and not DynamicFont1 :
http://merminfilm.com/styles.css

The HTML is here:
http://merminfilm.com/getHTML.php?q=filmNews

The text does seem to appear with its regular and bold variants in various sizes and colors HOWEVER the text around the hyperlinks appears to jump when I mouseover the hyperlinks in the text. Interestingly, the jump only happens on the first mouseover and then the text is stable. What the heck? Is there some way to prevent this? To see the text jumping, go here and click 'film'...then mouse-over the hyperlinks:
http://merminfilm.com/index2.html

Am I properly embedding my fonts and assiging stylesheets? I haven't been able to locate any authoritative adobe documentation on how to use stylesheets with embedded fonts in AS2.

I am using CS3.

My code is below.
ActionScript Code:
stop(); import TextField.StyleSheet; var myStyleSheet:StyleSheet = new StyleSheet(); myStyleSheet.onLoad = function(success:Boolean) {     if (success) {         var stylesArray:Array = myStyleSheet.getStyleNames();     } else {     } }; myStyleSheet.load("styles.css"); txtFilmNews.html = true; txtFilmNews.styleSheet = myStyleSheet; txtFilmNews.width = 295; txtFilmNews.autoSize = true; txtFilmNews.selectable = false; txtFilmNews.condenseWhite = false; txtFilmNews.embedFonts = true; var lvFilmNews:LoadVars = new LoadVars(); lvFilmNews.onLoad = function(success) {     if (success) {         txtFilmNews.htmlText = lvFilmNews.html;     } else {         trace('load failure!');     } } lvFilmNews.load('getHTML.php?q=filmNews');
Old 11-04-2008, 02:08 AM   #2
sneakyimp

Send a message via AIM to sneakyimp

I finally tried one last thing. I set the font of the textfield in CS3 to '_sans' and specifed 'DynamicFont1' or 'DynamicFont1Bold' in my stylesheet. This appears to have eliminated the problem. The jumping text problem appears to happen when I specify ANY embedded font in my dynamic text field in CS3 -- including one that I actually use in the text field. Weird.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: