Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 12-29-2008, 02:24 AM   #1
jcbrady89

Default [AS2] My First Actionscript Project - Coinflip Game

I've been studying for months and finally decided to create a project. It's a simple coin flip game in which I'm 95% finished. Unfortunately, I ran into a glitch that I can't figure out, relating to the removeMovieClip() method. Here is my code for the project:

ActionScript Code:
this.createEmptyMovieClip("canvas_mc", 1); canvas_mc._x = 140; canvas_mc._y = 90; canvas_mc.attachMovie("Heads", "Heads_mc", canvas_mc.getNextHighestDepth(), {_x:canvas_mc._x, _y:canvas_mc._y}); var headsTails:Number; var i:Number = 0; function flip():Number {     headsTails = (Math.round(Math.random()));     return headsTails; } function removeTails() {     //removeMovieClip(canvas_mc.target.name);     removeMovieClip(canvas_mc.CoinSpin_tails_mc+[i]);     //canvas_mc.CoinSpin_tails_mc[+i].removeMovieClip;     //trace(canvas_mc.CoinSpin_tails_mc[+i].name);     //removeMovieClip(canvas_mc.CoinSpin_tails_mc1);     //removeMovieClip(canvas_mc.CoinSpin_tails_mc2);     //removeMovieClip(canvas_mc.CoinSpin_tails_mc3);     //removeMovieClip(canvas_mc.CoinSpin_tails_mc4);     //removeMovieClip(canvas_mc.CoinSpin_tails_mc5); } function removeHeads() {     //removeMovieClip(canvas_mc.target.name);     removeMovieClip(canvas_mc.CoinSpin_heads_mc+[i]);     //canvas_mc.CoinSpin_heads_mc[+i].removeMovieClip;     //removeMovieClip(canvas_mc.CoinSpin_heads_mc1);     //removeMovieClip(canvas_mc.CoinSpin_heads_mc2);     //removeMovieClip(canvas_mc.CoinSpin_heads_mc3);     //removeMovieClip(canvas_mc.CoinSpin_heads_mc4);     //removeMovieClip(canvas_mc.CoinSpin_heads_mc5); } flip_btn.onPress = function() {     flip();     removeHeads();     removeTails();     removeMovieClip(canvas_mc.Heads_mc);     //removeMovieClip(canvas_mc.target.name);     i++;     if (headsTails == 0) {         trace('tails');         canvas_mc.attachMovie("CoinSpin_tails", "CoinSpin_tails_mc"+i, canvas_mc.getNextHighestDepth(), {_x:canvas_mc._x, _y:canvas_mc._y});     } else {         trace('heads');         canvas_mc.attachMovie("CoinSpin_heads", "CoinSpin_heads_mc"+i, canvas_mc.getNextHighestDepth(), {_x:canvas_mc._x, _y:canvas_mc._y});     } };

I'm actually trying to get this counter to work. I left the commented lines in the above code to show some of the things I've tried; //removeMovieClip(canvas_mc.CoinSpin_heads_mc1); do what I need to do but I can't get the counter to work properly. All my other attempts to remove the movie clips did not work except when I targeted them directly with the number at the end.

jcbrady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:31 AM   #2
atomic
Banned by AS.org Staff

Attach your .fla to this forum...
atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:41 AM   #3
jcbrady89

Default FLA File Attached

Here is the fla file, (I haven't put the final graphics in it yet).
Attached Files
File Type: zip coinflip02.fla.zip (12.1 KB, 131 views)
Old 12-29-2008, 05:09 AM   #4
atomic
Banned by AS.org Staff

A bit confused...

Are you saying that as it is, this is working as you would want it to, or not?

Or that on every press after the first press of the flip button, the result clip should be removed and I should only see the flipping movement as I first saw on the firts press?

Am I making sense?
Old 12-29-2008, 06:22 AM   #5
atomic
Banned by AS.org Staff

Think all you need is this...

ActionScript Code:
stop(); this.createEmptyMovieClip("canvas_mc", 1); canvas_mc._x = 140; canvas_mc._y = 90; canvas_mc.attachMovie("Heads", "Heads_mc", canvas_mc.getNextHighestDepth(), {_x:canvas_mc._x, _y:canvas_mc._y}); var headsTails:Number; var i:Number = 0; function flip():Number {     headsTails = (Math.round(Math.random()));     return headsTails; } flip_btn.onPress = function() {     canvas_mc.Heads_mc.removeMovieClip();     flip();     if (headsTails == 0) {         //trace('tails');         canvas_mc.attachMovie("CoinSpin_tails", "CoinSpin_tails_mc"+i, 10, {_x:canvas_mc._x, _y:canvas_mc._y});     } else {         //trace('heads');         canvas_mc.attachMovie("CoinSpin_heads", "CoinSpin_heads_mc"+i, 10, {_x:canvas_mc._x, _y:canvas_mc._y});     } };

In fact attaching either clip to the same depth - I choose 10, rather than getNextHighestDepth() - automatically removes the previous clip that was attached to that depth...
Old 12-30-2008, 04:11 AM   #6
jcbrady89

Default Thanks!

It seems like I tried everything but that! It works fine now.

I guess that's a bit of a gotcha when using getNextHighestDepth()
Old 12-30-2008, 04:15 AM   #7
atomic
Banned by AS.org Staff

Grrrrreat!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: