Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 01-02-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
wyattt

Default mouseX problems

Hey there,

I'm new to AS3 and programming in general actually. I've ran through the basics of AS3 and now for more practice I am working on translating some AS2 tutorials into AS3.

While working on something really simple I discovered some problems with mouseX. My code is error free, but I'm not getting the results that I want with the code in question.

ActionScript Code:
package {     import flash.display.MovieClip;     import flash.events.Event;     public class Character extends MovieClip {         public function Character() {             addEventListener(Event.ENTER_FRAME, moveCharacter);         }         public function moveCharacter(event:Event) {             this.x = stage.mouseX;         }     } }

I have a movieclip positioned on the stage already, and all I want is for my MC to follow my mouse. This may be more due to what I'm doing in Flash itself, but it only works the way I want to if I have the crosshair on the MC positioned exactly in the middle of the very left side of my stage. If I put the MC in the middle, it moves left and right with my mouse, but it's way off to the right of where my mouse is. What exactly am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help!
wyattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:40 PM   #2
G.Bob

Hi. Try removing "stage." before mouseX. mouseX is just mouseX.
G.Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:23 AM   #3
runawayprisoner
ActionScripted

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattt View Post
Hey there,

I'm new to AS3 and programming in general actually. I've ran through the basics of AS3 and now for more practice I am working on translating some AS2 tutorials into AS3.

While working on something really simple I discovered some problems with mouseX. My code is error free, but I'm not getting the results that I want with the code in question.

ActionScript Code:
package {     import flash.display.MovieClip;     import flash.events.Event;     public class Character extends MovieClip {         public function Character() {             addEventListener(Event.ENTER_FRAME, moveCharacter);         }         public function moveCharacter(event:Event) {             this.x = stage.mouseX;         }     } }

I have a movieclip positioned on the stage already, and all I want is for my MC to follow my mouse. This may be more due to what I'm doing in Flash itself, but it only works the way I want to if I have the crosshair on the MC positioned exactly in the middle of the very left side of my stage. If I put the MC in the middle, it moves left and right with my mouse, but it's way off to the right of where my mouse is. What exactly am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help!
You are moving the whole DisplayObjectContainer, which is "this" as you are putting it, therefore... something in the middle of it is obviously not going to be right where your mouse is.

The correct way to do it would be either this:

mc.x = stage.mouseX; //(or mouseX)

Or this:

getChildAt(0).x = mouseX; // First symbol you ever create on the stage will follow the mouse
runawayprisoner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: