Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 12-02-2002, 03:09 PM   #1
jmcwatters

Default using dynamically created content in a Scrolling Pane

Hello,

I'm using the MX "scrollpane" component 4 the first time to scroll a movie clips whos height is dynamically set from a variable coming from asp.

the movie clip to be scrolled "content" has a text field called uName. There is a var I'm picking up from an asp page called uNum. Using a "while" loop, uName is duplicated until there the number on uName fields = uNum.

All of the above works.

I then added the scrollPane component to the stage, and after setting the linkage property of "content" and setting the Scroll Content property on the Scroll Pane, I tested the movie.

The text field duplicated as planned, however the scrolling panel didn't create a vert scroll bar and the text fields from "content" appear over top of and outside the scrollPane.

Is there a work around 4 this that anyone knows about?

thanks,

- J
jmcwatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 05:15 AM   #2
CyanBlue
Super Moderator

Howdy...

Just from my brain without looking at any code, did you refresh the scrollpane after that duplicates???

One other thing... I think I heard that you gotta attach the scrollpane with attachMovie() function to get things work right... Don't know if it is true or not since I try not to drag components to the stage as much as I can, but you might want to think about it if you do...
http://tutorials.FlashVacuum.com

Do NOT PM, Email or Call me... Your question belongs right in this forum...
CyanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 09:47 PM   #3
mmontoya

Default Text going outside Pane

Thanks for Jesse Stratford for this solution -

Like yourself, I spent many puzzling hours trying to figure out why the #@$&^@*&! my dynamic text variables would keep going outside the bounding box of the scrollPane. I kept getting erratic behavior, not just with the display of the text, but of the movie clip instance(s) inside the pane.

Someone on the forum attributed this problem to the browser, but in fact, the solution is quite simple and had nothing to do with the browser.

YOU MUST EXPORT THE FONT OUTLINES OF ANY DYNAMIC LABEL YOU ADD TO A SCROLL PANE!

It's that simple!

God bless this forum!

-Michael
mmontoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 01:42 PM   #4
Philip Toews

Default Re: Text going outside Pane

mmontoya

What do you mean by EXPORT THE FONT OUTLINES? Do you embed fonts ... all characters?

Quote:
Originally posted by mmontoya
Thanks for Jesse Stratford for this solution -

Like yourself, I spent many puzzling hours trying to figure out why the #@$&^@*&! my dynamic text variables would keep going outside the bounding box of the scrollPane. I kept getting erratic behavior, not just with the display of the text, but of the movie clip instance(s) inside the pane.

Someone on the forum attributed this problem to the browser, but in fact, the solution is quite simple and had nothing to do with the browser.

YOU MUST EXPORT THE FONT OUTLINES OF ANY DYNAMIC LABEL YOU ADD TO A SCROLL PANE!

It's that simple!

God bless this forum!

-Michael
p
Philip Toews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 05:17 PM   #5
mmontoya

Default Scrollpane headaches

Yes, that's exactly what I mean - you must embed the font outlines. Naturally, to save on size you might want to selectively embed only those characters you are sure you will be using. Use the "generate size report" feature to verify your resulting swf.

By the way, system fonts extending beyond the confines of a scrollpane is not necessarily an error. Though it may appear this way in the authoring environment, often times it plays fine a browser. This is due to a bug in the flash player release which was ultimately corrected (with version 6.2 , I believe - check Macromedia to be sure). If it is not critical that the fonts be "crisp", embedding will guarantee correct playback regardless of the player version (embedded fonts are automatically antialiased, which, for small font sizes - below 12pts, can actually decrease readability.

-Cheers,
Michael
mmontoya is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: