Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press

Go Back   ActionScript.org Forums > Flash In Action > Site Check

Old 02-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
anfractuosities

Default First actionscript based site

So this is my first site that I used actionscript to animate.

In making this site, I learned how to use the stage listener and create a full browser composition, how to use variables for dynamic movieclip names, and how to use the tweener class.

I would love some feed back from people on this forum. Thanks

http://snowshoedetroit.com
anfractuosities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
maskedMan
Obfuscated Coder

Given the target audience and budget level, it's not a bad first attempt. I do think the graphic design needs some overall polish to make it stand out, however. I also would think the design should have more indication that you're marketing towards artists and musicians, but I don't see that theme represented in the site's appearance.

Having the nav spread out along the edges of the browser window is a bit odd, and in the case of those using a mac your nav could conflict with the docking ("I rolled down to see your services, but the dock popped up and blocked my mouse.")

In terms of code and functionality, mostly it works okay but I found a bug in the portfolio section. When I clicked Cis Rossey and then went back, that text stayed on the screen underneath every other artist name that dynamically popped in. Eventually the text went away, but I can't tell you what I did to make it happen. How many text fields are you making when you use this menu?

man.mask = mask_mc;
maskedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:34 PM   #3
anfractuosities

First, thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it....

I'll have to look into the text bug, In this menu, each artist has a moviclip with nested clips for the different subpages. I\prob just need to clear cis's movieclip on closing her section, I am gonna do that right now.

I have been self teaching actionscript 2.0,but I just got a book on 3.0 and I am going to sit down and absorb it, b/c in the first few pages of it, I already realized, I am not doing things the "correct" way. ie. actionscript in the timeline, etc.

Didn't think about the mac issue....thats a good one.

I think I misunderstood the glich...I thought some of her informational text was visible, but it was her name, correct? I checked the code, and I just misspelled the instance name...and now that I think about it, I probably should have used a single dynamic text box and declared the variable on rollover instead of using separate static text nested movieclips. Would that have been more efficient?

Thanks again

Last edited by anfractuosities; 02-03-2009 at 06:47 PM. Reason: misunderstood
anfractuosities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
maskedMan
Obfuscated Coder

Yes, I meant that the artist's name remained behind, not the informational text. Also, yes I think your re-assessment would have been an excellent approach. You live and learn.

man.mask = mask_mc;
maskedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:14 AM   #5
kkbbcute

Although I so want to complain about this site, I can't, simply because this is just your first attempt. But a few things to take note of:

Firstly, your color combination includes too many colors, none of which stands out to me. If you want to look out for nice color combinations, check out Adobe's Kuler.

Secondly, your use of drop shadows and beveling makes the site look last generation. It just doesn't have a cool, new "feel" to it. Try using more gradients instead of solid colors with beveling.

Lastly, the cancel window button feels useless, anyone who would want to view something else would just mouse over another tab/dock.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:29 AM   #6
rawmantick
Pipty rupees only!

I'd say this is a very good try! You need to work more on style... I was very impressed to have liquid layout. Respect!

I'd make those buttons on sides bu click, not by mouse-over. And let another one be clicked when some is already opened.

You defenetely have a potential... Polish the style...!
Old 02-11-2009, 07:10 AM   #7
tango88
FlashByNight.com

Needs polish and more balance between the colors.

Like the others said; it's a good first attempt.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: