Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press

Go Back   ActionScript.org Forums > General > Gaming and Game Development

Old 02-21-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
fenstalker

Default [AS2] Feedback Wanted: Isometric Game Interface

Hi this is my first post to actionscript.org.

I'm developing an isometric interface similar to old games like Landstalker. This is not a point-and-click interface, but rather it uses keyboard directions, so you use the arrow keys to move, and spacebar to jump.

The current version can be seen here:
http://fenstalker.com/content/IsoWorld/

(You may have to click it to get the keyboard interactivity working.)

Your thoughts? The graphic are placeholder of course, and the depth sorting needs some tweaking, but this is close to the final algorithm of the isometric engine I've built. Your feedback on interactivity, perspective, running speed, and other factors is welcome.

Thanks!
-bh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forumgraphic.gif
Views:	115
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	31504  

Last edited by fenstalker; 02-21-2009 at 06:03 PM. Reason: image removed
fenstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:17 AM   #2
MinusNick
¡¿Maestro de Flash?!

Send a message via AIM to MinusNick

Hehe, this is pretty awesome. I love how the shadow changes when you go under the bridge and how the elevator stops if you go under it. Very nice attention to the details. Just curious: how many lines of code is all this?
MinusNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:44 AM   #3
fenstalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinusNick View Post
Hehe, this is pretty awesome. I love how the shadow changes when you go under the bridge and how the elevator stops if you go under it. Very nice attention to the details. Just curious: how many lines of code is all this?
Thanks for the feedback. Did you find the arrow key navigation awkward? I know some are not fans of arrow keys in isometric view. The perspective is shifted a little to hopefully help with this (if you'll notice, the perspective is not exactly symmetrical).

I haven't counted the lines of code but like most projects it started small, then expanded into a large set of classes, and then as the system was refined it trimmed back down into a relatively compact set of related functions and objects. I would guess about 500 lines or so for the classes, and 100 for each instance of the algorithm to setup a level using those classes.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:05 AM   #4
kkbbcute

I love your attention to detail, is this going to be in some form of game or something in the near future or just a challenge for yourself?

Side Note: I feel a click to move system still works better for isometric games.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:05 AM   #5
fenstalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbbcute View Post
I love your attention to detail, is this going to be in some form of game or something in the near future or just a challenge for yourself?

Side Note: I feel a click to move system still works better for isometric games.
The isometric technology is being developed as a marketable product--not exactly a game, but a series of interactive "scenes" for the web. It has been a fun challenge though. Isometric depth sorting is a real puzzle.

I know a lot of games use the point-click method to navigate in an isometric world but that's not feasible in this case, as the scenes must be explorable in all dimensions, whereas point-click worlds don't allow free movement in the Z direction. That's fine for weapons-based roll playing games but not so great if you want to call upon the user's sense of timing and spatial interaction. In short, this is to be more like the old Zelda/Landstalker games.

PS - the demo has been updated.
http://fenstalker.com/content/IsoWorld/

--
Old 02-23-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
fenstalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinusNick View Post
Just curious: how many lines of code is all this?
PS - I checked... I guess it's closer to 2500 lines of code, but I go heavy on the comments/documentation and those are included, so probably more like 2000 of actual code.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:57 AM   #7
bluemagica

really good stuff....it would be great if you could opensource it!

The code seems blazing fast, but i felt a very slight quirk if i get to the bottom of elevator( to stop it) during motion! The arrow keys sometime do get a bit confusing, but i guess its better than mouse and its the best available option!
bluemagica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:06 AM   #8
kkbbcute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemagica View Post
really good stuff....it would be great if you could opensource it!
Same here, then everyone can improve upon it!
Old 02-25-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
fenstalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbbcute View Post
Same here, then everyone can improve upon it!
I'd like to, but this isometric engine + level editor is being developed for sale to a client for further use, so I can't give it away. Sorry!
Old 02-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #10
kkbbcute

Actually I found a lame graphical bug, the shadow of the lift doesn't move while the lift moves. Since the light source is at an angle based on your shading, the shadow should be moving away from the direction of the light source.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: