Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 04-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
ImOnCloudNine69

Default [AS2] gotoAndStop problem

I have a shooting game, and im trying to make a pause menu. well when i hit ESCAPE i have it go to another frame, which works just fine, the problem is my ship/bullets/enemies if they are on the screen, are still visible and do not stop playing when im on the pause frame. they are all MC's and all move with actionscript. it just loops on one frame for the entire game movement and play. simple stuff.

FRAME 2 (the game frame, 1 is my start menu)
ActionScript Code:
if (Key.isDown(Key.ESCAPE)){        stop();     _root.gotoAndStop(3);   }

FRAME 3 (the pause menu)
ActionScript Code:
stop(); keyListener = new Object(); keyListener.onKeyDown = function (){   if (Key.isDown(Key.ESCAPE)){      _root.gotoAndStop(2);   } }; Key.addListener(keyListener);
ImOnCloudNine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:04 PM   #2
gordeaoux

It sounds like you'll need to explicitly stop the movement of the ship/bullets/enemies in your actionscript. How are you moving the stuff around? Is it in an onEnterFrame handler? If so, you could try putting an empty onEnterFrame section on frame 3, as in:

Quote:
onEnterFrame = function(){
}
That would stop any movement, and when you go back to frame 2, it might start again with no problem (depending on how you coded it)
gordeaoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #3
ImOnCloudNine69

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordeaoux View Post
It sounds like you'll need to explicitly stop the movement of the ship/bullets/enemies in your actionscript. How are you moving the stuff around? Is it in an onEnterFrame handler? If so, you could try putting an empty onEnterFrame section on frame 3, as in:

That would stop any movement, and when you go back to frame 2, it might start again with no problem (depending on how you coded it)
yeah its all onEnterFrame. movements of _x and _y and hittests and stuff. but not only are they still moving they are showing through to the frame 3.

ALSO it duplicates my ship MC when i go back to my game frame. your code did stop the SHIP movement only however. the enemies still moved and what not. because they have their own onenterframe. i move the ship with mouse move. so im not actually sure why adding an onenterframe even worked.

i looked back on my code and i lied. i guess i do move the ship with onEnterFrame inside of a function i call from mousemove.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
gordeaoux

You could add some code on frame 3 to drop the alpha of all the stuff you want hidden to 0 or you could attach a movie on top of everything that simply hides it all. So:

my_ship._alpha = 0;
my_bullets._alpha = 0;

or

attachMovie("pauseMenuMovieClip", "pauseMenu", this.getNextHighestDepth)

then when you go back to frame 2, add an unloadMovie("pauseMenu")
Old 04-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
ImOnCloudNine69

Well that would hide them sure. no problem. but i have so many enemies and bullets hiding them all would be annoying loops. and besides all of that, it doesnt PAUSE the movement. which is the point of this. they need to stop moving so you can continue where you left off. also they need to pretty easily resume movement with their usual onEnterFrame.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #6
gordeaoux

what happens when you go back to frame 2? it might be easier if you posted your fla so I can see what's going on.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:20 PM   #7
ImOnCloudNine69

Hey. its really hard to explain. ill post a link to my.zip file. it contains my fla and some other stuff having to do with the game. some necessary some not.

http://rhsweb.org/kheath/Raiden%20HxC.zip
its my schools online website hosting.

ps, if you just run the fla, my ESCAPE key doesnt work. i had to run the EXE which is just the fla embedded into Visual Basic. (press ctrl-enter to run it, then close the fla, and open the exe, that will have updated it. not sure why, but i had it embeded because it gets the windows username. (school issue, my teacher wouldnt let me let the kids input names because they will use bad words. lol)

try playing around with it. you press space to make the enemies come, and you have to shoot at least once before you try pressing pause, otherwise it doesnt register or something, anywayssss. thankkks.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #8
ImOnCloudNine69

Im not sure why it duplicates my ship and does some weird **** where it uses both but goes back and forth between them. i understand that it might not stop but still need help with this, and also with them still being visible.

I know its possible because like every flash game ever created has a pause option. please help

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: