Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 05-01-2001, 06:45 AM   #1
Toygrubin

I am currently making a web page for cars. What i would like to be able to do is choose a vehicle from a list and have it load up under my navigation as a picture of the car and a small text description from an outside source ie. html or ? The reason i would like it this way is its easy to change individual vehicles pictures and info and i am planning on having have allot of different pictures.

The only way i know how to do it now is basically make a mini movie with the picture and text within my main movie.

With lets say 20 to 30 cars thats allot of baggage in the movie even if they dont load up untill called.

I have looked around and the closest i have seen to what i want is http://www.andersondirect.com I would like to do my pictures and info similar to the way the pictures and info are set up in the used car section. You can see them after making your choices of the type of vehicle you want.

Were they able to do this with external files or a Database?
I can see its done in Flash but i have no clue how.

I appriceate your help in this matter,

Toygrubin
Toygrubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 09:56 AM   #2
Jesse
ActionScript.org Founder

That site just gives me errors on most of the URLs I try but I think the best idea for this sort of project would be to use a frames based page and have a small html frame which displays the text and graphics. If the graphics are going to be updated regularly, this would be the easiest way as otherwise you will have to edit a Flash file every time to change the graphics...

Like I say, there were lots of link problems on that site, if you can give me a direct URL I might be able to see what you're after more easily.

Cheers

Jesse

Jesse Stratford
ActionScript.org Cofounder

Please don't email or PM me Flash questions, that's what the Forums are for!

Please don't rely on me reading my PMs either. Email me about important stuff.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 03:37 PM   #3
Toygrubin

Thanks for the reply

Wierd, i havent gotten any errors at that site using IE 5.5 and the flash 5 plugin.

How do you mark off a section of the flash movie for a html frame if you have flash animation/navigation bars on the top and bottom? and then insert it in? That would be ok if i could insert a small frame of html into the middle of my flash movie when called.

This url http://www.davesmithmotors.com/newrigs/GMC/jimmy.asp has an animated navigation bar. But has reglar pictures and text down a bit. What i wanted was to be able to have some flash animation mixed in with the pictures and text of my vehicles (in the frame if possible). And maybe some Flash text effects in the text.

Thanks for the help,

Toygrubin
Toygrubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 08:21 AM   #4
Jesse
ActionScript.org Founder

Sorry for the delayed reply. That URL has a DHTML nav, not Flash. If you want to use Flash with HTML content (pics especially) you will need to divide your HTML into a frameset and have one frame with HTML content and one with Flash content... You can't load graphics into Flash on-the-fly unless they have previously been converted into a SWF.

Cheers

Jesse

Jesse Stratford
ActionScript.org Cofounder

Please don't email or PM me Flash questions, that's what the Forums are for!

Please don't rely on me reading my PMs either. Email me about important stuff.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: