Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press

Go Back   ActionScript.org Forums > ActionScript Forums Group > ActionScript 3.0

Old 06-19-2009, 05:45 AM   #1
codec

Default importing vs loading swf (referencing)

I'm slightly confused about syntax and references in as3
I wrote an app in as2 which was very easy to reference loaded code from an external swf.

So now I'm getting into as3, and thought it's about time I learn about class files and how to keep the code off the timeline.

But now I have to recompile every fla that imports an updated class. This means republishing about 20 files if I change 1 class.

So I decided maybe I should load code from an swf instead of importing it in a class file. The loaded code in an swf is only compiled 1 time from an otherwise empty fla.

And can be loaded into any swf without having to republish anything but the empty fla.

I'm trying to keep my assets separate from the code. This minimizes coding time and makes upgrades easy. And decreases bandwidth on updates.

I guess my question is this:
Is it possible to access code in a class that is 'imported' in a swf then that swf is loaded into another swf
(the loader contains the interface, the loaded code applies functions to the interface by passing references to assets).

I am wondering because I would rather write classes now that I know the rules and restrictions. If I write on the timeline there are no restrictions.
But if I write classes that are imported into an empty swf, then loaded by the interface I cannot seem to access the class methods after the load is complete.

I hope that sounds clear.

Has anyone got a better solution?
codec is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: