Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 08-21-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
Ganks

Default Actionscript.org is..

Well, this forum has obviously been corrupted and gone down-hill after the hacking episode.

Apparently Atomic has left the site.

Thanks for all the quick replies and help lately. I will not be returning to this forum.
All my posts have either not been answered, or I get a hostile response.

I have recently seen other posts from people that have not been answered, and when they post another topic about it, maybe a couple days later.. they get flamed for it?

Yeah, great job guys.
There's a better, more hospitable forum out there now, and I'm going to go find it.

It's sad that Atomic held this whole thing together.
Ganks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
asf8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganks View Post
Well, this forum has obviously been corrupted and gone down-hill after the hacking episode. Apparently Atomic has left the site. Thanks for all the quick replies and help lately. I will not be returning to this forum. All my posts have either not been answered, or I get a hostile response. I have recently seen other posts from people that have not been answered, and when they post another topic about it, maybe a couple days later.. they get flamed for it? Yeah, great job guys. There's a better, more hospitable forum out there now, and I'm going to go find it. It's sad that Atomic held this whole thing together.
Maybe a bit much?

Whats the other forum?
asf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
eggnogg
there's 8 pixels missing!

spamming the as2 forum with a non as2 question:your not helping
i havent seen many unanswered questions around this forum lately
but if you dont feel okay with not having an ocasion reply then your free to move to another forum/website.
eggnogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
asf8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganks View Post
Apparently Atomic has left the site. It's sad that Atomic held this whole thing together.
Atomic was banned actually...
http://www.actionscript.org/forums/s....php3?t=201085

It was sad, but by saying he was the only contributor and now the place is crap is not accurate at all either. I can name numerous members that no longer post (over the last few years) (and see many more when searching the forum) or many others who have moved to the AS3 side of things that to me were invaluable, each are missed. Everyone makes contributions, and everyone has lives outside the forums.

What bothers me is so many people get aggravated when they dont get a response in 10 minutes, 1hr or even 24hrs, its not like people are just waiting by to give answers, there are many factors for people, time zones, desire, knowledge, free time, etc... after all its an "at will" forum.

I think your reaction and post are a bit much Ganks.
asf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
Noct
Toys in the Attic...

I agree with asf8 100%. If Jesse, CyanBlue, Senocular, Cota, present company, and 20 other senior members all left, then I could see getting upset, but aside from stepping more into AS3 and their own lives, the heart of this forum is still here and ready to help.

Atomic knows his stuff and has surely helped a lot of people, but he is far from the beginning and end of AS.org. His shenanigans were only allowed to continue as long as they did because he was so helpful.

While I have never had any real issues with Atomic/Anon, I find it pretty dang amusing to say that the place was a more "hospitable forum" when he was around. The guy tweaked more people then any net presence I've ever encountered...
Old 08-21-2009, 06:15 PM   #6
ASWC
Super Moderator

Good luck ganks (you're gonna need it) in finding a forum where no post is left unanswered.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:08 AM   #7
UncleNinja
I love noogies.

Quote:
Good luck ganks (you're gonna need it) in finding a forum where no post is left unanswered.
I agree.

First off, Ganks, I'm not trying to insult you, but this is ridiculous. You understand that the little senior member gnomes aren't paid right?!? Last time I checked we were being NICE when we help anybody at ALL. The better your question is written, the more people will want to help you. Expecting us to try to help somebody with a poorly written question when we could be helping someone with a better question is also ridiculous.

Second, as others have said, Atomic knew his code but his approach was really mean. He was always starting arguments and creating chaos. He was million times LESS hospitable than all the little senior member gnomes around here combined!

Third, you are fussing at US because of some hacker? Why aren't you fussing at the evil hackers? The fact is, if the hackers want the information, they will get it somehow, no matter how protected you think you are.

Fourth, I've searched across the internet and I have found no better AS forum than this one. I've been to Kirupa, the Adobe AS3 forum, and everywhere else. This is the best ActionScript forum in the whole wide world, and it has some of the nicest guys in it.

ActionScript Hints - a revolutionary wiki dedicated to helping Flash developers

Last edited by UncleNinja; 08-26-2009 at 11:24 AM.
UncleNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:37 PM   #8
tadster
tadster

Quote:
This is the best ActionSript forum in the whole wide world, and it has some of the nicest guys in it.
Amen.

Just give it some time Ganks, all will be back to normal, don't give up.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:43 AM   #9
Paul Ferrie
Scottish and mad fer it!!

9 years i have been here. Got a great deal of help from some of the members that are no longer around for one reason or another.
I think a lot of the dev forum communities have seen a down turn on what was the norm 3-4 years ago. It's good that AS.org is still holding it's own even though some of the more helpful popular members are now gone on to bigger better things. I do my best to come on here at least once a day and try and answer any post's i can but even i have work to get on with.

If you feel you have been giving a hostile response in one of your post then you should report it. I know sometimes it can be very easy for the more knowledgeable person to sometimes over complicate or undermine your situation. I know i have done this myself on many occasions forgetting what it's like to have just opened flash. I have never intentionally been hostile to anyone on the forums though some have taking offence to something I've said even though i see it as being the norm.

At the end of the day Ganks if someone is giving you grief or you think they are posting just to gloat your situation without any input to your post then report it.

I still look for help on these forums and there maybe something you know that i know jack about.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:30 PM   #10
Cota
Super Moderator

I understand that not getting answering is frustrating. Especially, if you're stuck on something that has already put you in a bad mood. There are hundreds of members contributing in one way or another, and yes, not every post will get answered. Here are a few reasons why posts dont get answered:
1- The person asking the question was far from clear.
2- They posted code without using the [ as ] tags, which makes it hard to read and people just pass up on that.
3- They are asking us to do the work for them.

For me personally, I havent been around much because I just had a baby. Life has been very busy with a 10 year old, 7 year old, 2 year old, and a 1 month old. I'm in the office from 10-7pm weekdays, and weekds are busy with the kids. So, as of late, I havent had a lot of time. But I still make here to deal with spammers, and the articles section, which doesnt always leave a lot of time to get to posts.

I get that your frustrated, but relax a little and things will work themselves out. Before you know, this place will be buzzing again.

cota - www.chadworkman.com | http://shavedplatypus.com
occupation: designer | flash developer | server-side developer (php, asp, mssql, mysql)
Cota is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: