Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press

Go Back   ActionScript.org Forums > General > Best Practices

Old 09-09-2009, 07:25 PM   #1
wvxvw
Holosuit User

Send a message via ICQ to wvxvw
Default Enforce usage of another class through interface.

I think my question will best fit here because it's more architectural then coding.
Prerequisites first:
- IStyleClient (an interface that should enforce the usage of StyleManager).
- StyleManager (a centralized storage for CSS-like styles + an instrument for setting styles on StyleClient[s]).
- A variety of StyleClient (These classes need to be styled).

Dilemma: I would prefer to make it so that by implementing the interface, the clients would:
- enforce importing StyleManager (this is easy).
- embedding themselves into StyleManager's tree of clients (i.e. styles may be inherited through parent-child chain).
- be notified when their style changes.
- provide API for changing their style whilst notifying StyleManager.

I know this mechanism exists in Flex framework, and I know at an average-good level how it works, but I would like to make it more logical and efficient if possible.

So, I was thinking about something like this:
if I have a method in the IStylable
ActionScript Code:
function setManager(manager:StyleManager):void;
Assuming the developer would add listener to StyleChangeEvent dispatched from the manager and notify the manager back, when the style is changed, I feel like I'm giving to much freedom to the 3rd-party developer, that may also not know he should do the above...

Another way of doing the same thing is like so:
ActionScript Code:
package com.aditall.styles {     import flash.events.IEventDispatcher;         [Event(name="styleChange", type="com.aditall.styles.StyleChangeEvent")]     [Event(name="stylePropertyChange", type="com.aditall.styles.StyleChangeEvent")]         /**      * ...      * @author wvxvw      */     public interface IStylable extends IEventDispatcher     {         function get styleName():String;         function get styleID():String;         function get stylableParent():IStylable;         function get stylableChildren():Vector.<IStylable>;         function get style():Object;                 /**          *          * @param   parent          * @param   theStyle          * @param   children          * @return  This function will be called on style or property change.          * It must have the following signature:          * <code>function(property:String, oldValue:*, newValue:*):Boolean</code>          * This function should return <code>true</code> if the property change marks          * parent as "dirty" and false otherwise.          */         function appendToChain(parent:IStylable, theStyle:Object,                                 children:Vector.<IStylable>):Function;     }     }
I cannot tell it looks any better to me, besides, id doesn't enforce StyleManager import.

I hope I explained it, but, if I didn't... I'll be happy to add more info. And if there is a common way to do such thing, I'd like to read about it, but, I think I just don't know how to call this, so, google / wiki aren't helpfull quite as much this time
wvxvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
bowljoman

I would use a base class and require the client to extend the base class. I would handle all the StyleManager stuff in the base class.
Do you require the client to be notified on change? I prefer implementing the 'client' model that netstream uses for onMetaData() and onPlayStatus(); and require a client object in the base Class constructor. Throw a runtime error if the client is null.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
bowljoman

By baseclass, the client would 'override' the behavior rather than 'implement' the behavior.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #4
bowljoman

Sneak an import of StyleManager into the StyleChangeEvent.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:34 PM   #5
wvxvw
Holosuit User

Yeah, that's also is a Flex framework pattern, but I find it not perfect when you have to deal with other classes, which do not extend the client and you need to use composition (which is a waste IMO).
But I can see what you mean when you mention NetStream... I was thinking about making it like EventDispatcher(IEventDispatcher) - however, this would be composition again...

Besides, I really want the StyleManager to do the job / logic, not the clients... So that for example if some particular client fails to do what it's supposed to, I would be able to handle that in the manager, and this won't affect other "normal" clients.
Like, imagine situation when someone overrides Event.clone() like so:
ActionScript Code:
public override function clone():Event { return null; }
So, if I have control over EventDispatcher, I may check if the cloned event is null and "forget" the damaged event.
I.e. EventDispatcher <--> Event relationship would be ideal in my case. Meaning, the StyleManager as EventDispatcher, and the Client as Event. With the only difference, there should be IEvent instead
Old 09-09-2009, 09:43 PM   #6
wvxvw
Holosuit User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowljoman View Post
Sneak an import of StyleManager into the StyleChangeEvent.
Wow, this is something I haven't thought about Actually, sounds smart. So... I would for example make Client dispatch "I'm invalid" event, and that would automatically inform the StileManager, there is a chain to validate, no matter where it is Besides, since I have a reference to the Event's target I may find the "invalid" client too... hm...
Old 09-09-2009, 10:27 PM   #7
yell0wdart
jordanrift.com

Basically using an Observer of sorts... Sounds pretty slick so far. Let us know how it goes.

bad developer

Jordan Rift
yell0wdart is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: