Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 11-23-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
abeall

Send a message via AIM to abeall
Default hitTestPoint oddity; doesn't work until next frame?

I'm seeing some weird behavior with hitTestPoint. It should be reproducible with the attached code.

If I move a display object and use hitTestPoint afterward on the same frame against a point within the object's new shape bounds, I get false no matter what. On the following frame I get true like I should. If I then move the object away and in the same frame hitTestPoint against a point which is NO LONGER in the current shape (since it moved) but WAS in the shape on the previous frame, I sometimes get true and sometimes get false. This seems totally screwed up. Am I going mad? I've tried the move and hitTestPoint in both mouse handles and enterFrame handlers, but enterFrame handler is the only one I really care about at the moment.

Check out the following code; click to define a new position for the large object, then in the next entetFrame event it will move it and perform hitTestPoint -- object turns orange when hitTestPoint is true. You should see the same weird behavior described above.

Any suggestions other than throwing away hitTestPoint and using some mathematical approximation?

ActionScript Code:
var circ:Shape = new Shape(); circ.graphics.beginFill(0x009900); circ.graphics.drawCircle(0, 0, 30); addChild(circ); var dot:Shape = new Shape(); dot.graphics.beginFill(0xFF0000); dot.graphics.drawCircle(0, 0, 2); dot.x = 250; dot.y = 250; addChild(dot); stage.addEventListener("mouseDown", mouseDown); stage.addEventListener("enterFrame", enterFrame); var clicked:Boolean = false; function mouseDown(e){     clicked = true; } function enterFrame(e){     if(clicked){         clicked = false;         circ.x = mouseX;         circ.y = mouseY;         var hit:Boolean = circ.hitTestPoint(dot.x, dot.y, true);         circ.transform.colorTransform = new ColorTransform(1,1,1,1,hit ? 0xFF : 0);         trace(hit)     } }

Last edited by abeall; 11-23-2009 at 08:27 PM.
abeall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
abeall

This seems to only happen when the shapeflag is true. Turning it off isn't a solution in my situation, but in others it might be good info to know...
Old 11-24-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
abeall

Well, here's one ridiculous solution that worked in this situation: I performed the hitTestPoint before moving the object and projected the x,y relative to the amount the object is going to move. In other words:
ActionScript Code:
var point:Point = new Point(mouseX, mouseY); var hit:Boolean = circ.hitTestPoint(dot.x - (point.x - circ.x), dot.y - (point.y - circ.y), true); circ.x = point.x; circ.y = point.y;

It works in this case, but it would get hairy if scaling and rotation was involved...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: