Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 12-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #1

Default XML & array problem

Hello,

I'm trying to load XML data in an array (it is not finished yet because I need some help)... This will create levels for a breakout game, where 1 creates a block and 0 doesn't. I need to write an XML file storing the levels and the array content for the blocks. In the end I should be able to fill up an array like below using the extracted information!

ActionScript Code:
var lvl:Array =     [[0,0,0,1,0,0,0],                    [0,0,0,0,0,0,0]];

I have been trying so hard to get this done but can't find the correct solution so I was wondering if someone could give me a hint on how I should write the XML and actionscript to load the numbers into the array (note that I'll need an array in another array).

Thank you for your help!
waftock@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
tadster
tadster

so what you want to do is store an array in xml?

<myxml>
<thearray>[[0,0,0...],[..]]</thearray>
</myxml>

ActionScript Code:
//load the xml via a urlloader //add a complete event listener function completeHandler(e:Event):void {   var thexml:XML = XML(e.target.data);   theArray:Array = Array(thexml.thearray);//try that   //you can also bring it in as a string then chop it up into an array   //based on "[", "]", and commas }

Last edited by tadster; 12-16-2009 at 11:22 AM.
tadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:17 PM   #3

It works, thank you! I was using the same methods but much more complicated... The only thing with this method is that the end-user won't immediately know how to insert or remove blocks but no prob, I'm glad it works! Thx again for the quick reply!
Old 12-16-2009, 01:55 PM   #4

Hmmm, when trying to fill the array with the xml for level 2 I get an error because I'm using the same var 2 times. When there are no blocks left on the stage to hit I just tell the currentLvl to add 1 using ++, this works. Then I call the function to create the level but now level 2 us ing the code below.

ActionScript Code:
if (currentLvl == 1) {         var lvlArray:Array = new Array (thexml.lvl1array);     }     if (currentLvl == 2) {         var lvlArray:Array = new Array (thexml.lvl2array);     }

What am I doing wrong?

Regards.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
wvxvw
Holosuit User

Send a message via ICQ to wvxvw

Whatever you are trying to do (of which I'm not really sure...)
- don't declare variables inside loops or inside conditions.
- don't use Array's constructor - it is virtually unexisting function. Use Array literal - you won't get confused at least when trying to convert something to array or put an array inside another array.

EDIT: Ah, it seems like you ware trying to create an array from string - then look into Array#split([delimiter:String]); method e.g.:
ActionScript Code:
var array:Array = "a,b,c".split(",");

Last edited by wvxvw; 12-16-2009 at 02:02 PM.
wvxvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
tadster
tadster

i'm not sure what your trying to do, but :
ActionScript Code:
var lvlArray:Array; if (currentLvl == 1) {  lvlArray = new Array (thexml.lvl1array);   }     if (currentLvl == 2) {  lvlArray = new Array (thexml.lvl2array);   }

is how that should be (don't mind the formating) "var lvlArray:Array" should only happen once, strictly speaking.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:42 PM   #7
midnit

Send a message via AIM to midnit

You could also just keep the XML elements the same (instead of naming them differently: lvl1array, lvl2array, etc)...

So your XML would be like this:

<myxml>
<thearray>[[0,0,0...],[..]]</thearray>
<thearray>[[0,1,0...],[..]]</thearray>
<thearray>[[1,0,1...],[..]]</thearray>
</myxml>

And you could just reference each "level" as a separate element in your XML Array... So level 1 would be lvlArray[0], level 2 would be lvlArray[1], etc...
midnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #8

I can't seem to be able to use this code in the code I already wrote... Is there anyone who would like to take a look at this code to help me? I'd really appreciate it and for someone who knows a lot about flash this should be easy...

Kind regards!
Old 12-20-2009, 12:58 PM   #9
wvxvw
Holosuit User

Send a message via ICQ to wvxvw

ActionScript Code:
var xml:XML = <a>     <a a="FE"/>     <a a="FD"/>     <a a="FB"/>     <a a="F7"/>     <a a="EF"/>     <a a="DF"/>     <a a="BF"/>     <a a="7F"/> </a>; function matrixFromXML(node:XML):Array/*Array*/ {     var arr:Array = [];     node.*.@a.(arr.push(arrayFromInt(parseInt(toXMLString(), 16))));     return arr; } function arrayFromInt(input:int):Array/*int*/ {     var i:int;     var k:uint = 1;     var arr:Array = [];     // 0xFF can hold up to 8 bits,     // You may make rows as long as 32 colums if you need.     // However, if you need more then 32 rows, then, you'll     // have to use different algorithm     while (k <= 0xFF)     {         arr[i] = (input >>> i) & 1;         k <<= 1;         i++;     }     return arr; } trace(matrixFromXML(xml).join("\r")); /* Just an example: 0,1,1,1,1,1,1,1 1,0,1,1,1,1,1,1 1,1,0,1,1,1,1,1 1,1,1,0,1,1,1,1 1,1,1,1,0,1,1,1 1,1,1,1,1,0,1,1 1,1,1,1,1,1,0,1 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,0 */
wvxvw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: