Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 06-16-2010, 08:31 AM   #1
dr85

Default Freelancing AS3

Hi All,

I'm doing a project and feel like I'm being ripped off. I have been asked to develop a full on Flash site, which I have done, in AS3. Now its coming to the handover and the client seems to think my estimate was an agreed price, despite complete change of website structure and design.

Here's an outline of whats in the site and I would like to know what you lot would charge - so I can get a feel of things...

A Papervision 3D Flash menu (Exactly like the one on Fendi.com)

A Full screen intro consisting of some particle effects (which I built from scratch) & some after effects transitions.

Three full on scrolling galleries which load external images from subdirectories.

A Home, Products, Services, Contact Us which are text based pages which contain one externally loaded image on each.

A 'Commercial' Page which includes a video and also text.

Not to mention on top of this all aspects with media must contain CMS (all imagery) which I must build from scratch.

So thats a basic outline. . . How much would you charge?
dr85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
dr85

can any experienced freelancers offer their expertise in pricing as a guideline?
Old 06-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
dr85

Default website development question

sorry for re-posting - may have posted original in wrong thread.

Hi All,

I'm doing a project and feel like I'm being ripped off. I have been asked to develop a full on Flash site, which I have done, in AS3. Now its coming to the handover and the client seems to think my estimate was an agreed price, despite complete change of website structure and design.

Here's an outline of whats in the site and I would like to know what you lot would charge - so I can get a feel of things...

A Papervision 3D Flash menu (Exactly like the one on Fendi.com)

A Full screen intro consisting of some particle effects (which I built from scratch) & some after effects transitions.

Three full on scrolling galleries which load external images from subdirectories.

A Home, Products, Services, Contact Us which are text based pages which contain one externally loaded image on each.

A 'Commercial' Page which includes a video and also text.

Not to mention on top of this all aspects with media must contain CMS (all imagery) which I must build from scratch.

So thats a basic outline. . . How much would you charge?
Old 06-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
maskedMan
Obfuscated Coder

Nope. This sort of issue has been asked before and the most common answer is that this sort of discussion could be construed by certain legal entities as price-fixing. Therefore I wouldn't expect people to tell you how much they'd charge.

Did you sign a contract indicating that the price was fixed? Did you sign a contract indicating that the price was subject to revision? Were revisions in the contract at all? Is there a reasonable interpretation of what you had the client sign that would let them have the grounds to haggle?

man.mask = mask_mc;
maskedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:20 PM   #5
dr85

ok well what if i throw in a random price can you tell me if it is sounds reasonable or high/low. .

£550
Old 06-16-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
snowedin

~$2000.00

But of course now is not the time to ask the question.

Anytime a client makes a change, unless tiny, that is a change-order.
And costs must be recalculated.
If the client doesn't agree to the new costs, in an email, don't proceed.

For new or one-time clients, if an escrow system is not in place, get at least a third of the initial and agreed upon cost up front before beginning any work.
snowedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
maskedMan
Obfuscated Coder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr85 View Post
ok well what if i throw in a random price can you tell me if it is sounds reasonable or high/low.
I repeat:

Did you sign a contract indicating that the price was fixed? Did you sign a contract indicating that the price was subject to revision? Were revisions in the contract at all? Is there a reasonable interpretation of what you had the client sign that would let them have the grounds to haggle?

man.mask = mask_mc;
maskedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:37 AM   #8
dr85

Thanks very much for your replies.

I found the job on a freelancing website which uses an escrow system. However, contact was made outside this site and I completely forgot, thinking the entire time I was doing it through the website. Unfortunately, I am not.

At this stage, I am in conflict with the guy over costs for the site. This is new ground for me - also a new client.

To summarise, nothing has been signed etc - but I would lrather "delete" all the work from my end than take an underpaid amount.

Does anyone have any contract templates tailored for online developers Or can anyone give advice on what to include in the contract?

Thanks again for your advice

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: