Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 01-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
Naeuuin

Default open and save

How would i go about this?

i want to open a text file from a default directory and read that data into an array.
I want another to save and array into file that they can name into the same default directory
Naeuuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
zyxstand
Platinum Member

flash, due to security measures, does not allow writing to files. to load, though, you could use url loader. if you need this project only locally, look into flash air (i believe you can load AND save with it).
zyxstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
Naeuuin

Default i was directed to air

so im working on a project in flash cs5 and gotten to the point where im adding the open and save feature. i was told flash doesn't but air does. I can still work the same way i have been but in publish i chose air?
now to my original question

i want to open a text file from a default directory and read that data into an array.
I want another to save and array into file that they can name into the same default directory

How would i go about this?
Old 01-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
Naeuuin

is it the same programming just different when you test / publish?
the adobe Air forum here looks like its not very active.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
SDragon029
Determined Coder

Send a message via MSN to SDragon029 Send a message via Skype™ to SDragon029

You should be able to work in the same file and use some functions for opening and saving with Air if you change your Player in the Publish Settings from Flash Player to Adobe Air. To do this you can click on the gray area around the stage or the stage itself then go to the properties of that. From there you click the button labeled "Edit..." under Profile. Then under the "Flash" tab you change "Player" from say Flash Player 10 to be Adobe Air 2.

Now once all that is accomplished your going to want to look into File, URLRequest, URLLoader, and Event.COMPLETE for reading a text file into an array. For saving a file your going to want to look into File, and FileStream for writing a file to disk. If you can't figure it out on your own just let me know and I can provide some more detail on how to work with those.

Good luck,
Tim
SDragon029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:23 PM   #6
Admiral Brodnack

You can save and load files in Flash Player using the FileReference class. You don't have much programmatic control, though, so you can't direct the user to a standard directory. Flash opens a save or load dialog.

In AIR you have more control and can open the dialogs already pointing to the desired directory.
Admiral Brodnack is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: