Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 04-15-2003, 09:38 PM   #1
gnwanya

Unhappy Please check out the URL

gnwanya

Ok, I'm begining to understand the way things work. Please forgive as im not a good coder in the slightest, but im trying my damned hardest.

My website opens into the main.swf, within that I have a movie clip called contents. (My reason for this is that I dont know how to position my movies unto my main.swf using "_levels", so using a contents clip to position it is easier). I load my swfs into this contents movie clip.

Now a particular swf called "latest.swf" I have another movieclip which is a scroll txt clip. This scroll clip itself loads html txt into it. After racking my brain and understanding more of your suggestions, I managed to get to html txt to show within the latest.swf which is loaded into the contents movie clip thats on the main.swf (please let me know your still with me here).

However like I said earlier my buttons to scroll up and down on the scroll clip to not function on the main.swf, but the work fine when i test latest.swf on its own. My knowledge really stops there, I now its the way I code the paths but how is my question.

I have included a link to my site. www.gnwanya.com. Once you enter, there is a link at the bottom lefthand corner called update latest, please clip that to find out my problem. non broadband users please be patient.

All you help is extremely appreaciated.
gnwanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 02:10 PM   #2

Hi there, the http://www.gnwanya.com/latest.swf didn't work on my machine...
Could you put the scrolling and the text loading AS in here? You have to make sure that the text is completely loaded before you place the scrollbar...

Nice site btw
avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 02:52 PM   #3
oldnewbie
Banned by AS.org Staff

Have you at least tried to load it on a level (regardless of position) to see if the buttons did work or not?

If they do, then position shouldn't be a problem.
Is the latest.swf created at the dimensions it now appears, or is it of the same dimensions as your main movie?

What are the present x & y coordinates of your holder clip?
oldnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 09:41 PM   #4
gnwanya

I got alot of help trying to decifer the correct coding for the script to work. But All came up negative. I've been working hard to get it working but Im not a great understander of actionscripts so I'll just stick to design. And try my best to keep mc's actionscripts to a minimum. But thanks to all who helped out with my queries.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:20 PM   #5
oldnewbie
Banned by AS.org Staff

So how did you get it working? Since it now does!
Old 04-16-2003, 11:28 PM   #6
gnwanya

I didnt get it working,

Since the page was important, I re-did the page in MAIN.swf as a new scene, and just added go to commands to it.

It was a little confusing, as I had to take into consideration, that I had a conents mc on stage also.

So although initially the whole interaction takes place within MAIN.swf, as soon as you hit the update button, it goes into the next scene, and thats where it stays. I had to place the contents mc on further down the time line so that when I click to load my other page, I had a goto command first then followed by loadmovie script.

Messy....very messy I know, but I no the creative when its comes to coding. However it has taught me a valuable lesson, about site design and layout. I am in the process of developing my new site. And will make better use (or shall I say simpler use) of thes _root and or _level coding.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:43 PM   #7
boyzdynasty

out of topic...but i just had to ask...

did 2advanced had an influence w/ your design?
Old 04-16-2003, 11:45 PM   #8
oldnewbie
Banned by AS.org Staff

It's not that messy if it works! The end user wouldn't care if it works in another scene or not, and I for one, am not against using scenes, even if some purist coders say it shouldn't be done. It works, it works, that's what important.

Still curious though if you ever did try it, loading on a level?
Old 04-17-2003, 05:42 PM   #9
gnwanya

Yeah, I believe your right, It the veiwer is not going to see behind the stages as long as it is pratical and functoins I shouldnt have to worry. I guess at the moment is just peace of mind.. Like Im sure people are tired of me saying, but Im not a great coder, im not even a good one, but I wanted to know as much as I needed to, and it will always be the case.If I knew a few coders, Id gladly hand the work over to them for an exchange on design work.

I did try using levels, I came up with the same problem, and plus i struggled with the coding a little with that as im not fully aquainted with understanding levels, (and yes I have gone through the tutorial.

Secondly I am aware of 2advanced, its a great site, and for my first website, i think i did quite well considering. The site is a great use of loading movies using preloaders, its contents are full and have range. And obviously at a much bigger level than mine. Nonetheless we all got to start somewhere so why not at a place you admire. I learnt alot from the structure of the site, and now begining to go into different in my web designs. Just to let you know, I am not a hardcore webdesigner, more print and motion graphics.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: